I did read that some on this forum shoot carbon and aluminum so not all are traditional wood, fingers, and off the shelf. thanks," />

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

loop and release?

Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM

Default loop and release?

I sure hope I am not committing heresy to this forum, but has anyone tried a loop and release with a recurve bow? I did read that some on this forum shoot carbon and aluminum so not all are traditional wood, fingers, and off the shelf.

thanks,
Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: loop and release?

Most of us do notshoot truely primitively.

Although I have never used a loop and mechanical release, it sure could be done. And it would probably add some accuracy.

A mechanical release is just not for me though.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Likewise, I'm sure it could be done, and probably add great consistency, but part of what drew me to "traditional" was feeling my fingers on the string, a connection to the bow.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:16 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I tried a back tension release on a longbow once, years ago--dang near killed myself!

I've heard of folks with severe arthritus in their fingers using a release aid, but haven't heard of anyone using a loop. It will surely help with any release problems, but for me it would just be one more thing to loose/forget/drop/malfunction, and they aren't allowed in tournaments (I love to shoot 3-D in the off season).

Chad
Old 01-18-2008, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like LBR said,I also know of a few people with arthritis that use a release but not a loop
Old 01-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I love my bows primative, but im part of the modern arrow crowd. I use to shoot cedar shafts but got old and lazy and went with a shaft that is easier to tune. As for a release, ive seen releases used with target bows, but never with hunting. And never a string loop.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

i shot my recurve with a release aid once. that was all it took. the anchor point i used for my compound didnt work worth a nickle. none of the other anchor points i tried were any better. but the important thing is that if you can make it work for you go for it.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used a release and string loop with a recurve and it works quite well. Now that I've reached 60, and a bit beyond, my body is really starting to experience arthritis in nearly all of my joints.

If you are going to shoot a release, I would recommend a string loop. A release will eat up the serving on a string in no time. That is why compound shooters went to the string loop. I also use a kisser button, peep and a DAS SRF sight.

Now let's talk heresy. Or we can talk being as accurate as we can possibly be in the field. I don't get to practice as much as I once did, 30-45 minutes a day, so I need the peep and sight to provide the accuracy required for hunting to make effective and efficient kill shots. I owe it to the animals I'm hunting, I believe.

I also use the release, peep and sight at shoots. I just don't shoot for competition, except against myself. If a particular shoot tells me I'm not welcome, that's fine I'll just go home. But, I should hope some common sense would prevail and a simple "NOT FOR COMPETITION!" written across the top of my scorecard would deal with it the way it needs to be.

Bill
Old 01-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

i currently shoot a 65# compound but i plan on building a selfbow and taking off from there.

i agree with releases and if you're going to use one, definately grab a string loop. they're cheap and it'll save you a lot of money. at the moment though i shoot with a finger tab i picked up from a local shop. i like that is helps quiet my bow and it's much smoother in my opinion