Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Arrow flight

Old 01-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Arrow flight

When I'm shooting my arrows are not flying true. Not every arrow but some! The arrow hits the target slightly sideways, the fletching is leaning to the left. Is this form or spine???
Old 01-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow flight

Not every arrow but some!
Form, usually. Or you've got nocks that are either too tight or too loose. Or you've got some arrows that aren't straight.

Best way to find out is to number each arrow so you know which is which, then watch to see if it's the same arrows that are flying funky. That way you know. If arrows 3, 7 and 8 are the ones that consistently fly bad, then you know the problem is with those particular arrows. If none of them fly bad consistently, like if it's 3,7 and 8 one time, then the next time it's 1, 5 and 9 that are going whompyjawed, then you know it's you.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

You'll notice that nocks become very important on traditional bows. Flight gets very finicky if it's not correct. Personally, I like the nocks that stay on with pressure. I don't like the ones that snap on. If you happen to have the snap on types, you may want to file the lip off.

If they are too tight, I file them; f they are too loose, I stick them in boiling water for a second and then form them to the string.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

You know I had a couple of nocks that were popping off once they hit the target. I put a little wax on them and they're staying on! I'm shooting the CX Heritage, I should NOT glue them in correct???

After another 60 arrows and concentrating better I did notice better flight!
Old 01-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep mine snap on a little, I'll try some sand paper on them se how that works. A couple shots yesterday the nock on one arrow actually stayed on the string after the shot![8D]
Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like you got your answers already with some good info. One thing I can offer is when a person first starts shooting these trad bows allot of times there anchor point tends to jump around for a while until they get use to the new way of shooting and holding the entire weight drawed back. I'm guessing your getting allot of rough releases too which is so easy to happen when starting out, hell i still do it now and then when practicing!
Old 01-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, I REALLY have to concentrate about my form. I know as soon as I release if I did it or not.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the tip Bob, I sanded all my nocks just to a snug fit with no "snap" when I nock the arrow!. Seemed to help a lot! Thanks guys!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:16 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I know it's a bit late (dang I've been busy lately), but I'll go ahead and say that nock fit can be a major tuning problem, and one that a lot of folks overlook.

If you order a custom string, a good string maker will use the serving size that fits your type nock--at least close. Some nocks have such a hard snap that you may have to do some work with a file or emery board.

Another "trick" is ask for a small serving, then custom fit it yourself with dental floss--that way you can make it fit just like you want. Rod Jenkins does this on his personal strings--he's the one that told me about it. Another benefit to using the smaller serving is less weight on the string (you gain a little speed).

Chad
Old 01-17-2008, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you order a custom string, a good string maker will use the serving size that fits your type nock--at least close.
You're too modest, but I'll tell it like it is:

If you order a custom string, get it from Chad and tell him what nock you use. If he isn't familiar with it, send him one. He'll match the string serving to the nock. That's what I do anyway.

Now I feel better.

Quick Reply: Arrow flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.