Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Shooting to the right

Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Shooting to the right

ORIGINAL: crawdad375

Right handed and shooting feathers. Like I said I am new to traditional so do you shoot the spine weight lighter than you would in a compound. If so how do you figure the deflection?

Well, those spines are .4" and .35" accordingly. I meanI shoot .35" for a 70lb compound. And .4" for a wheeledcompound. For a bow like that, you would want .45". Or you can increase your point wieght. I bought points from 100gr to 250gr jsut for these purposes. I suggest bareshaft tuning using various point wieghts. You don't have a movable rest to compensate for stiff or weak arrows like compound, so you have to do it by cutting shaft length or increasing point wieght.

Alot of this depends on your release how crisp it is.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

The guys have covered most things that can cause shooting to the right. One thing has yet to be mentioned though. Are you sure your anchor puts the arrow directly under your eye and not to the left of it?

Stand in front of a good sized mirror, draw your bow and aim at your eye in the reflection. Is the point of the arrow aimed at your eye or off to the right? If you're not looking directly down the arrow at your eye, then let down and move your anchor to the right and try again. Keep doing that until you find the magic spot where everything lines up.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a link that may or may not help:

Click_Here

Old 01-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

If it were me, id bare shaft test the arrows to see if its a spine issue. If its not, then id work on my grip and follow through. Might be hand torqueing it.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:04 PM

What distance do you usually shoot when you bare shaft test?
Old 01-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably way overspined - to the point where the tail of the shaft is hitting the riser and kicking left so the point goes right.

What works best for me is the tuning method at the following link: http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html

Going way up in point wieght will weaken the dynamic spine if you do not have other arrows available. I believe the Horne is cut only to 1/8" of center - a 460 to 500 deflection (depending on point wght) should work better.

Steve
Old 01-16-2008, 02:19 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: crawdad375

What distance do you usually shoot when you bare shaft test?
I start off at 10 yards with trad bows, and then move out to 20 yards and then out to 25 yards. Only bad part about this, is you really need to be able to hit consistently. When I first started trad shooting, my biggest problem, was I coudlnt' hit consistent enough to be able to know what I am doing bare shaft shooting.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

i would even try to do alittle blind bale shooting and maybe it is a mind thing. when i shot my compound alot and would have problems i would do that and pull everything back together. as itturned out for me, most of my problems were in my head.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:01 PM

I will start shooting different spines and will bare shaft them. I have shoot blind, just like my compound, and hit to the right from where I think I should be.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try the bareshaft grouping method at the link I gave you - it takes some of the form errors out of the equation allowing you to get a better read on if your spine is close.

Steve

Quick Reply: Shooting to the right

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.