Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Matching arrows to bow

Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Matching arrows to bow

Do you like to get a lighter shaft and slowly cut it down to the right spine, or do you like to get a shaft that is closest to your bow and changing tip weights. Ive always cut my shafts down so I could shot the tip I want. I have had others tell me its better the other way. What do you guys do.

Im a little to cheap to buy a bunch of shafts above and below to see which is best.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Matching arrows to bow

I like to do what you do. That is adjusting the shaft length first. I points that I start with would be around 145 grains (around mid point of weights). That way in order to further finertune, I havesometing else to use.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:27 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

With wood arrows, my options are limited--I need a full length shaft due to my draw length.

I still prefer to get the right spine to begin with, so I don't have an excessive amount of arrow hanging past the bow.

Chad
Old 12-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Fork Horn

I do what LBR does with wood, But I cut mine to 30" which gives me a 29" BOP. it took me awhile to find what I need for a spine, even when changing bows, but now I have it, and the spine I shoot works with all my bows. For Carbon, I chose the model, in this case Heratige 150's and cut them down to the length I wanted them at. and since I wanted closeto 160 gransup front, that worked out real well.

All I got to say in what ever you choose, tune the set up, some will say bare shaft and some will not. I did bare shaft once and t didn't work for me. I shoot broadheads when I tune and every time I go shooting, after I get the field point arrows flying good, I then shoot a broadhead arrow to see if the set up is really tuned.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I always bare shaft my trad gear and paper tune my compounds.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm like Chad, only worse, forced to play with different spined shafts and tip weights due to my ape-armed draw length. And I have to use really stiff, heavy shafts to get the right spine.

I've been thinking about buying a set of takedown recurve limbs and makingmyself anoverdraw riser with an extended gripto fit them on. Then I'd be able to cut shafts to length and it'd open up a whole new world of arrow shafts to play with.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I can relate, my draw is a little over 30".