Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

I know this is old BUT....

Old 12-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I know this is old BUT....

Alot of you guys helped meget backinto recurve last year/fall,winter but the thing that really bothering me is leaveing a recurve strung.What I want to do is string my Martin hunter and PSE Kudu and leave them strung...My longbow stays unstrung all the time when not shooting it.
I just had Shoulder surgery and the sling is off now,what I want to do is too be able to just grab one and use it help build my shoulder back up,I wount be full drawing just pulling them back a little each day...They will be short pulls...
You might say Iam haveing withdraws from not shooting much this year.
(the reason I want to string em both is one is 50 and the other is (55 kudu)so Ican kina have two differant pulls).

Old 12-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I know this is old BUT....

I wouldn't go tugging on bows until the surgeon and physical therapist give you the green light. I imagine the PT will give you some rubber thingies to exercise your shoulder with and you can work the full range of motion with those. Better to do that than get in the habit of short drawing with your bows.

Anyway, leaving the recurves strung won't hurt, as long as they're laying flat when you're not using them. Like stashed under the bed.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

So haveing them hanging is not a good thing...?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

I hang my recurve during the off season strung. Been doing it for 15 years with my recurves, i've always wondered if that was bad for them being strung that long hanging from a rubber coated hook. I've seen recurve limbs twist during the off seasonwhen not strung, probably happens either way.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

I hang my recurve during the off season strung. Been doing it for 15 years with my recurves, i've always wondered if that was bad for them being strung that long hanging from a rubber coated hook. I've seen recurve limbs twist during the off seasonwhen not strung, probably happens either way.
Thats how I hang mine but not strung,so stung it is...thanks....
Old 12-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I never leave mine strung. After shooting, I unstring them. But ive heard of lots of people who do leave them strung. I really dont know if it makes a difference either way.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:43 PM

I don't think it is a problem as long as they are not strung for excessively long amounts of time. After a while I think they may start to loose poundage, but it doesn't happen very quickly. During hunting season I leave mine strung for weeks and have not noticed a difference. I have gotten in the habit on unstringing them though. I think the main problem with limb twist occurs from people leaning them in corners. I would not see hanging to cause a problem as long as the bow is allowed to do its own thing and is not torqued. Personally I lay mine on the floor, or have a hanger that supports the bow on either side of the riser.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:14 PM

if i am going to shoot everyday,,or frequently,,,i keep it stung,,,,,some of my bows are strung for 6 to 10 months are longer,,these bows are used most often...now i have 3 bows strung now ,,pick them up everyday,,and shoot them.......storage is important,,hung by the string,in a cool dry place,,my basement,,away from sun light and not next to the furnace////////////