Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Doing a 180*- Bear Supermag

Old 11-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Doing a 180*- Bear Supermag

Awhile back I asked about the Bear Montana Long Bow. However after much thinking, it seems a shorty bow is without a doubt best suited for pop up ground blind hunting.

I've searched for as much info as I could find on the supermag. Of course some is the standard, obligitory "short bows are harder to shoot, they stack, etc, etc", but in certain threads elsewhere people rave about the sweetness and shootability of their favorite short bow by a wide variety of makers.

So, has anyone shot the Bear Supermag? I pull 27", so I'm not really worried about stack. I'm sure there are some faster, but I'm only interested in making an accurate hunting shot with a heavy arrow out to 20ish yards, have passed up many shots at 4-10 yards this season already, so speed shouldn't be an issue. It appears to have a slimmer grip with the shelf closer to the bowhand than the Martin X-200 I'm currently shooting, which would be a plus.

I like the looks of the supermag, the price seems right and I could order it and have it within a week. If I got it from Cabelas, I could send it back if I don't like it. I'm almost sold.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated
Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Doing a 180*- Bear Supermag

I am looking at the same thing. Am I crazy to try to get into trad archery with a short bow like the supermag? I like to hunt from a blind also and I like the looks of a supermag. I wand to shoot fingers with about a 29 or so draw. I am interested in any comments also. Thanks...
Old 11-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

I shot one not to long ago and it was OK. It did hit a wall about 2" from full draw, but I draw pretty close to 29". I will say that Ilike the 52" KodiakMag better.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an old Supermag(1968),57#@28",I draw a shade under 27" and to be honest--it's not the most comfortable bow to shoot.Really seems to pick up the weight towards the end of the draw(even my short draw).
On the other hand--some of the smoothest shooting short recurves I ever shot were the Little Suckling's.I think they're the JT44 and the KT44.Suprisingly smooth and stack-free for a 44" bow
Old 11-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you need a shortie for special applications, then that's okay. I wouldn't recommend making your main bow, and certainly not your only bow, a shortie though. It's best to have the length on your main bow to be not much less than twice your draw length.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:09 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I don't get along with short bows--so I just got a big ground blind. I can shoot my 66" longbow from my Ameristep Penthouse blind. Took a deer, fox, raccoon, and squirrel from it this year (so far).

Chad
Old 11-28-2007, 08:50 AM

I can second JimPic with the little suckling. Though have never shot the suckling, shot the Kiko. Kiko started making the bows, and passed on right to little suckling. The Kiko bows shoot well and my friend and his dad both shoot them exclusively. Shot the 44" and saw one made to fit in a fishing tackle box(believe it is only 28). Beautiful bows, and the 44" shoots very well for a short bow.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I figured the only way to get this out of my system was to order the Supermag, so I did. Should be here next week. 50# at 28". Got it from Cabelas so I can return it if I don't like it.

Thanks all
Old 12-01-2007, 12:23 AM

I have a 70's era Supermag that is a fun shooter. I think it would make a dandy blind bow. I wouldn't use it as my primary hunting bow, but the limited application of hunting from a blind might make it the right tool for the right job. A 29 inch draw might be pushing it's limit & willprobably stack a tad, but the manuverability would most likely be worth the trade-off. I draw a bit more than 27" & have no issues with stack, but believe the design of the bow wasbased on28". As with any bow, to know for sure you will have to try it, could be yours yours might be a little more forgiving with draw length.

Since you are already shootingan X-200,you might take a look at the Martin Nirk"Rebel". This 52" short recurve apprears (to me anyway)to be nothing more thana shortened X-200. You should be able to find it on the Martin website.

My two cents...
Old 12-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Spike

I am 6ft 1in and shot a Supermag 48 with no problems. It was a sweet bow and i gave it to someone on this site when i purchased my Black Widow.