Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Stand hunting with a longbow

Old 11-19-2007, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Stand hunting with a longbow

Is there anything more of a pain in the butt?

Can't hang it on the hanger with an arrow nocked. Don't wanna hold it the whole time.

SOMEBODY ought to come up with something to hold the arrow in place (ever so gently) that isn't an index finger.

It's a PITA......and I might just hunt from the ground with it next year.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:12 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Stand hunting with a longbow

My longbow has a rubber arm that holds the arrow in place. I think selway makes it. Then when you pull back it pops off.

Shooting out of a stand I have found to be a whole different ballgame. I can nail a deer vitals up to 25 yards from the ground, but in a stand, its iffy. I plan on putting a 15ft ladder stand up to practice this over the winter.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:13 AM
bigcountry

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=46&s=202&p=0&i=7723

Old 11-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Luckily, I have long legs, so laying it flat on my lap isn't a problem if I'm sitting inthe stand. When I stand, I hold it.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

You just need a bow with a riser like this.

The one on the left is a design from 1940. Middle is from 1931. The one on the right is from 1897. And they think full containment rests and dropaways are new ideas. LOL! I think I'll post this on the tech forum, just to mess with their minds. [8D]
Old 11-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Is there anything more of a pain in the ass?

Can't hang it on the hanger with an arrow nocked. Don't wanna hold it the whole time.

SOMEBODY ought to come up with something to hold the arrow in place (ever so gently) that isn't an index finger.

It's a PITA......and I might just hunt from the ground with it next year.
Don't you have a stay jack on your bow?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:32 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Bohnning and Selway both make one, and I saw a tutorial where Dean Torges showed now to make one with a match stick and a rubber band (wish I'd saved that one--can't remember how to do it).

Chad
Old 11-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

To add a secondary question....are you guys able to shoot in all the directions and areas that you would want to? It seemed like when I practiced from my stand, my limbs hit everything possible. And shootingat any angle towards the trunk was out of the question.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Honestly, I really don't know anything about treestand hunting. Only tried it once, a long, long time ago and hated it. Banging my bow into tree trunk and limbs was a big part of it (the guy who trimmed clearance area around the stand was MUCH shorter and smaller than me). I just keep my buns on the ground, thank you.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

are you guys able to shoot in all the directions and areas that you would want to?
I don't think that would be possible with any weapon.

The biggest thing is to practice or at least pull the bow back in the directions that you would want to shoot. You would then know if you need to cant, hold vertical, kneel (even from a stand), crouch, ect. Personally, I bring three practice arrow with me on each hunt which I shoot from the stand before getting down. The practice from the actual stand is important.

Quick Reply: Stand hunting with a longbow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.