Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Stand hunting with a longbow

Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 AM

Default RE: Stand hunting with a longbow

LBR, the match stick one here is a piture of how one can be made. Cheapest.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty neat heckler, could you describe how it works and how it attaches?
Old 11-19-2007, 01:59 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

That's it! It's really easy--rubber band goes around the back of the riser, hooks on either side of the match stick. You draw, the band releases. Only bad thing is it drops--my bet is that would spook a deer here. Maybe that's why I didn't save it.......

Chad
Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

The rubber thing behing the shelf is an arrow holder(Came with the bow--I don't use it).GMMAT--if you want it,pm your address and I'll send it to you

Old 11-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's really easy--rubber band goes around the back of the riser, hooks on either side of the match stick. You draw, the band releases.
Maybe I'd have to try it. Can't understand how the band releases when drawing.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know either...never tried the Matchstick....i would just flick it offwith my thumb before drawing/shooting...i doubt it would spooka deer if the movement of you Grabbing and drawing your bow doesnt first.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:23 AM

Does that light your arrow on fire at release too?I've never shot flaming arrows at a deer before....sounds cool!. Be a lot easier to track em tooi would think ......LOL!

I'm a rookie tree stand hunter that spent a couple months in basic training this fallshooting from my stand in a whole lot of different conditions. The best part of using a long bow is that your cant on the bow can be radical with out effecting arrow flightas muchif you are tuned right....the trick is bending at the waist and keeping your upper body form the same....takes lots of practice, but it can be done easy enough. you are more limited on your shooting radius with a recurve that requires a more vertical position than you are with a long bow IMO....With all that said i still prefer stalking and still hunting on the ground....see a lot more critters without all the circus acts in climbing trees.......Here was my home daily practice platform...........Kirk

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u301/kirkll/Treestandpractice008.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u301/kirkll/Treestandpractice006.jpg
Old 11-21-2007, 07:11 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It's not the movement that would concern me--it's the rubber band and matchstick landing on dry leaves. Dang deer here are easy to spook.....

Kirk, if you have a recurve with the shelf sitting close to your hand, extreme cant isn't a problem--works the same as a longbow. 'Course I still prefer longbows, but I shoot a recurve the same way.

Chad
Old 11-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

LBR - -it's the rubber band and matchstick landing on dry leaves.
How do they act when acorns fall? I DO understand what you're saying though. Just my luck it'd sound just different enough the deer wouild look right at me and leave.

Bob-CO - when the matchstick is rotated around to the back side of the riser the arrow being pulled back will roll the rubber band off the matchstick and it just pops off.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Put a Stay Jack on the bow and be done with it, its a piece of cake to do!Thats what there made for.They've been making them for years. I suppose GMMAT being you shoot a compound alsoyou have an over draw on your bow to hold your arrow in place. They still do make these stay jacks, i picked one up the other day for mine, wore the other one out!

Quick Reply: Stand hunting with a longbow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.