Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

string hitting wrist

Old 10-14-2007, 10:24 PM

Default RE: string hitting wrist

i think thebrace height was the ticket, i measured it and it was about 5.75 inches, twisted the string a bunch and set it about 7.25 and no problems, doesnt seem like i lost speed either. guess thats what you get when you buy a cheap recurve with no instructions or previous traditional archery experience, i just bolted the limbs on put the string on with 0 twists and thought i was doing it right.
o well thanks for the good information to a newb
Old 10-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fat_fish

i think thebrace height was the ticket, i measured it and it was about 5.75 inches, twisted the string a bunch and set it about 7.25 and no problems, doesnt seem like i lost speed either. guess thats what you get when you buy a cheap recurve with no instructions or previous traditional archery experience, i just bolted the limbs on put the string on with 0 twists and thought i was doing it right.
o well thanks for the good information to a newb
Yep I yold you so, I have hit my arm and wrist about 2000 times in the past 50 years,LOL
Old 10-15-2007, 09:16 PM

You got it Red! A lot of comp shooters use a high grip, open hand form with a slightly broken elbow instead of fully extended....its a whole lot harder to shoot with the elbow not fully locked with a Trad bow for me though. Can't seem to get a consistent anchor that way....That and i'm pulling too much bow weight at the moment...I get though hunting this season, i'm going to build be a lighter bow, and spend some time in the company of more experience archers this winter. That's the best thing i ever did when i was trying to shoot competition 3D years ago using high tech gear....I shot dots for two years before i saw my first 27X300 Vegas round. i could shoot 300 rounds on NFAA targets, but that's not a huge undertaking. Butwhen you shoot your first 60X 300 round, you start getting some looks from the big boys.....i absolutely HATED shooting target leagues and target tourneys...But i tell you what......it will burn that form you develop into your brain like a branding iron.....You find out what precision back tension really is using a BT rope release.....LOL! damn near broke my nose learning to shoot that thing.....Now i gotta do the same thing with Trad bows all over again.....Should be interesting....I think i found some seasoned guys to shoot with this last weekend.....Boy i could sure use some tutoring before i develop too many bad habits to break..........Kirk