Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Just couldn't do it.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Just couldn't do it.

For the 1st time last night I had a deer in range. I couldn't comfortably take the shot. I was sorely tempted but I couldn't let it fly. After doing a spot and stalk on a group of feral hogs only to get busted at 10 yds without a shot opportunity due to brush I decided to hunt my way out to the truck. Right at last light I came up on 3 does feeding on acorns. I managed to get to 20 yds. I had one broadside, Drew and then let down. It was just a bit too dark for me to do it. I didn't have as clear a sight picture as I would have liked. It was still legal shooting time but with her up under the oaks I just couldn't make out that sweet spot as well as I'd like. I don't want my first trad shot at a deer to result in a wounded deer. It was an exciting evening hunt and one I think I'll always remember. I can't be disappointed with the outcome because I know its just a matter of time!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:17 AM

Default RE: Just couldn't do it.

Good for you. That's what we need to hear about. It's good that you know your limitations and realized that the shot opportunity was less than perfect. I also must say good job for stalking up on those deer. I myself find it very challenging. Well, it is now only a matter of time. Good luck and I hope you get your first trad deer.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:49 AM
bigcountry

Tx, I hear ya. I try to stick with, if it feels good, go for it. Sat evening, I was hunting with my longbow, and some does were 25 yards out. Wide open. But I just couldn't get it together. Couldn't make out a spot I wanted to concentrate on. Didn't feel good. I was kicking myself, but later thought, you know I probably saved myself hours of tracking a bad shot. And I hate that feeling while tracking on wheather you will find the animal or not.

Sounds like you did well.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no honor in wounding a deer. There is no dishonor in passing up a shot you aren't comfortable taking. I've had to make that descision just about every season.There'll always be other opportunities.