Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Suggestions

Old 10-03-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Suggestions

I would really like to take up recurve or long bow archery. Problem is, I don't know a single person who shoots either and my local pro shop laughed when I asked about it. Can any of you guys give me some suggestions on it? New or used, brands to consider, web sites to look at, anything....

Thanks,

TxHunter73

Old 10-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Suggestions

Just a few suggestions:

1. Don't overbow yourself, 45#s at your draw length is usually a good starting point.
2. Don't get a bow that is too short. My minumums with 29" draw are 62" for recurve, 66" for longbow
3. Try to get to a few good shoots, most will have used bows for sale. Try a few out and see what you like.
4. Don't overspend. what I mean is don't go buying a 1k bow for your first. There is a good chance that after you get into it for a while that you might want something different.
5. Watch decent reputable on line classified sites. You can usually come out pretty well and have a bow that you could probably sell if you don't like it without loosing much $$$.
6. If you are shooting compound, expect to loose between 1 and 2 inches in your draw.
7. Get a few good instruction video's. My favorite are by John Schulz, Byron Ferguson, and Paul Brunner. You can get most of them used on Amazon -cheap.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

You can find some great deals on used equipment. Sites such asthe leatherwall ( http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/THREADSx2.CFM), tradgang ( http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi), tradtalk ( http://tradtalk.com/forums/), Archerytalk ( http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/), and this site have classified sections for listing used equipment.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Where in Tx are you?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is what sucks about bow hunting these days! Most of the places i go to don't know a thing about traditional bows or equiptment. I've had my share of guys laugh at me as well. Its really kinda funny because the joke really is on them guys! The good old traditional ways was how bow hunting and archery first got started. Maybe these idiots that work atthese places should pick up a book about Ishi, Saxton Pope and Art Young and do some researching for themselves and maybe just maybe us traditional men and women will get some more respect at place's we shop at for our hunting supplies!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

We've got a traditional club in Denton. If you're anywhere within reasonable driving distance, our guys could help you out. Shoot a few bows, ask all the questions you want. Thursday Night Fun Shoot tonight, if you can make it. http://www.dentoncountyarchers.com
Old 10-04-2007, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

This is what sucks about bow hunting these days! Most of the places i go to don't know a thing about traditional bows or equiptment. I've had my share of guys laugh at me as well. Its really kinda funny because the joke really is on them guys! The good old traditional ways was how bow hunting and archery first got started. Maybe these idiots that work atthese places should pick up a book about Ishi, Saxton Pope and Art Young and do some researching for themselves and maybe just maybe us traditional men and women will get some more respect at place's we shop at for our hunting supplies!
Yep, most places like to keep what sells in stock. But I still see a twinkle in the eyes of some of the older shop owners when we talk trad. That's where most of them came from, but it wasn't trad back then.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Yep, most places like to keep what sells in stock. But I still see a twinkle in the eyes of some of the older shop owners when we talk trad. That's where most of them came from, but it wasn't trad back then.
Then what was it then?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Then what was it then?
It was Archery, not Traditional Archery.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

It was Archery, not Traditional Archery.
[/quote] Its the same thing in my opinion. If it wasn't for all the technology in these compounds we would still be calling it archery, thats why the word traditional got brought into it i think because its not the same anymore.

Quick Reply: Suggestions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.