Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Went to the wrong room.....

Old 08-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default Went to the wrong room.....

I made a post in the bowhunting room that said:

I was wondering if any of you all had any experience with broadhead sharpeners? I have some magnus stinger broadheads that I have been practicing with and I would like to know how to put a razor edge on them in order to hunt with them. Any advise or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Trent
I received one request saying that they make replaceable blades for these heads and that is what I should look into. [>:]

Not really the answer I was looking for. Anyhow, I realized my mistake, I just went to the wrong room to post my question. Most of the guys in that room aren't concerned with sharpening anything, most of them will go and buy replacements or new heads. So, I guess I will pose the question to you all, what sharpeners have you had the best luck with? On the back of the Magnus Stingerbox itrecommends to use the Accusharp sharpener. Any experience with this particular sharpener?

Thanks,

Trent
Old 08-21-2007, 06:31 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Went to the wrong room.....

My friends use that sharpener and love it. I just use a gatco or landsky and follow up with a strop. Just like sharpening a knife.

If you are not good at sharpening a knife to a razor edge, get the hand sharpener. I know some guys like to use files to get to a rough edge and then use the hand sharpener.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sharpen my Magnus heads by hand, using successively finer stones then stropping on leather. Not that difficult. Follow the bevel.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do mine the old fashioned way, with a file and whetstone, so I haven't used that sharpener. But if I weren't too good at freehand sharpening, since Magnus recommends it I'd be more than tempted to try it.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

miller, I've used those heads exclusively since they came out. I use the s-24 sharpener kit from 3-rivers. It has a file, course and fine stone, and leather strop. I can get them razor sharp.

This year though I'm going back to trocar tipped muzzy for deer.