Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Need to know......

Old 01-10-2003, 08:13 PM

Default RE: Need to know......

I'm 45. Started shooting about 11 in boy scouts. Started bow hunting
at 12 with a borrowed Kodiak Magnum. At 13 bought a Red Wing Hunter with 36 hard earned dollars. Still have it. I listened to too many lies and it took me till I was 27 to learn how to hunt. About that time recurves were starting to make a comeback and I bought an Oneida to gain those few extra yards I needed for stillhunting. Won a 3-D tournament shooting fingers instinctive against guys who weren't. Got the itch and bought a Hoyt with sights and release. Great machine, but I needed a wheelbarrow to haul it through the woods, and couldn't see a thing through the sights unless the sun was bright and high. Shooting an old Vantage Pro now and looking for something a little longer and stronger. Never shot an LB but am open to the idea. What's the difference? More hand shock, more forgiving, less speed is what I've been told.

My tip: Get in the woods. Breathing targets are a different story, and this sport is hunting not shooting.

Old 01-10-2003, 10:45 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Never shot an LB but am open to the idea. What's the difference? More hand shock, more forgiving, less speed is what I've been told. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

It's hard for me to explain the difference--just something about the way a longbow feels to me is why I prefer them. As far as the differences you listed, it just depends on what bow you are shooting and what bow you are comparing it to. Some longbows do have a good bit of handshock, and/or are slow. There are also several that are very close in speed with very little handshock. Longbows are generally quieter also. Recurves seem to be more forgiving with arrow spine--at least the ones that are cut past center are.

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 01-10-2003, 10:56 PM

46 in a couple of weeks. Started archery about 6 months ago.

My tip: Don't get discouraged. When your shooting goes to h*ll (and it will), put the bow away for a little while and try again later - it will come back.