Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

What's the fastest you've heard of???

Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's the fastest you've heard of???

Serious archery, bigcountry?

Maybe I never learned serious rifle or pistol shooting, since I never shot groups with those either. I learned to shoot firearms by going plinking with my dad and went straight into shooting rabbits and squirrels with my little single shot .22 Winchester. Then moved on up to a sporterized .303 Enfield for deer.

I guarantee you, you don't want me shooting a rifle at you within 200 yards, even though I never shoot for groups with a rifle. If I can set up a row of beer cans and make 'em jump by busting the label in the exact letter I'm aiming at, I'm sighted in good enough for busting a deer.

Same with archery. I learned by 'plinking' and hunting varmints and small game. Although I have since been a competitive archer and have shot many, many groups, that is the way I originally learned.

Yes, that's how kids play. Kids play grows up as the kid grows up. The skills grow and mature as the kid grows and matures. Do you run faster now than you did when you were 3? Are you stronger? Do you have a better vocabulary? It's the same deal with archery.

How serious does archery have to be to meet your standard anyway? There were no huntable herds of deer close to where I grew up, so I became a small game hunter. How many rabbits does it take to equal one deer? How many squirrels must one kill before he can say he's a 'serious' archer? How many feral hogs does it take? Coyotes? Bobcats? Raccoons? Possums? I killed a number of each of those using that old "kids play" shooting style before learning 'serious' archery form. You trying to tell me all that came before my enlightenment wasn't 'real' bowhunting?

I speak for no one but myself, but I mention the Indians because I am mixed race, part white and part Indian (Cherokee, Chickasaw and Blackfoot). Where I was born there were many Comanches and Apaches living off the reservation and in my neighborhood. That is my heritage and the culture I was born into. I was originally taught archery according to that culture.

I am proud of my heritage and don't feel particularly obligated to avoid talking about it. I brought it up because you question that anyone could be a proficient archer without doing things your way. My intent was to illustrate there is more than one way to skin a cat... or to learn to shoot a bow.

You do realize the Japanese have a completely different shooting method than the English yeoman? And the Mongols have a different method than either. Same for the Native Americans, even variations between different tribes and different regions. Not to mention the ancient Egyptians, Persians and Turks. All those cultures are great archery cultures, simply in different styles with vastly different types of bows.

Of course, the English couldn't fathom any other race being nearly as good at archery as themselves, and since they did most of the writings along those lines.... Unfortunate that so many later authors use those racially motivated writings as source material. Keep that in mind as you read those derogatory stories about Indians' shooting skills.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 PM
bigcountry

Have a good one arthur.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:44 PM

I think we all have different views and opinions in the path that lead to the same goal. its to bad that sometimes its hard to read emotion and someones intent in writing and it gets taken the wrong way. I wish that we all could get together and enjoy a nice day on the range then maybe a BBQ and beer. GMMAT as far as your question you are the only one that can determine if you are confident and comfortable to ethically and cleanly hunt with your new longbow. As far as stumping heads I use judos because they bury themselves under the grass and hide.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, this one got pretty good.

One has to start out somewhere. You have figure out your form. Go out on a few 3d shoots.
Bigcountry, this is an interesting suggestion. Would you describe this as group shooting? Personally, I wouldn't, and I wouldn't call it a single arrow practice session.

When I'm out at the 3-d course, I usually only shoot one arrow per target (two at most), let my son shoot,and take a walk to the next target.

I also wouldn't call it a single arrow practice session since I'm probably shooting around 30 arrows or so.

I'd have to say this is more similar to roving or stump shooting.

If I'm in the basement shooting, I'll usually shoot about 50 arrows or so. But this is a form session. I am paying attention to some certain aspect of form, things like, keeping my release hand in close (not plucking), getting my elbow around far enough, squaring my face to the target (yes, I still get sloppy), keeping a rigid bow arm, keeping even pressure on the grip.I'll shoot maybe ten arrows beforepulling them.But the big difference is that I am not shootng for accuracy.My targetdoes not have an aimingspot on it, and I keep it in a dark corner so I can't see where the arrow impacts (it destracts me). I'm using the target to stop my arrows.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:05 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Wow, this one got pretty good.

One has to start out somewhere. You have figure out your form. Go out on a few 3d shoots.
Bigcountry, this is an interesting suggestion. Would you describe this as group shooting? Personally, I wouldn't, and I wouldn't call it a single arrow practice session.

When I'm out at the 3-d course, I usually only shoot one arrow per target (two at most), let my son shoot,and take a walk to the next target.

I also wouldn't call it a single arrow practice session since I'm probably shooting around 30 arrows or so.

I'd have to say this is more similar to roving or stump shooting.

If I'm in the basement shooting, I'll usually shoot about 50 arrows or so. But this is a form session. I am paying attention to some certain aspect of form, things like, keeping my release hand in close (not plucking), getting my elbow around far enough, squaring my face to the target (yes, I still get sloppy), keeping a rigid bow arm, keeping even pressure on the grip.I'll shoot maybe ten arrows beforepulling them.But the big difference is that I am not shootng for accuracy.My targetdoes not have an aimingspot on it, and I keep it in a dark corner so I can't see where the arrow impacts (it destracts me). I'm using the target to stop my arrows.
Nope, you can't call 3D group shooting. At least the ranges I go to, rules is one shot, one target. Every once in a while, I will sneak in another arrow.

Someone said its a balance. I agree.

If a person practiced different 3D ranges on a weekly basis, I bet his skills would improve very quickly. I know mine did.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, you can't call 3D group shooting. At least the ranges I go to, rules is one shot, one target.
Luckily at the club I belong to all shoots are fun shoots except for one money shoot and one Champions shoots. We have our big traditional shoot coming up this weekend so the Rapters and everything else are set up. Had a ball there last night. We have one stake set up on a log that is about three feet up (Chad would love it). The only way to really take the shot (which is between a split limb) is to get your foot up and stand on one leg.

If a person practiced different 3D ranges on a weekly basis, I bet his skills would improve very quickly. I know mine did.
Yup, besides other forms of practice, that's what we do right though the winter. It's a pain finding lost arrows in the snow though. [:@]
Old 08-15-2007, 08:17 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Nope, you can't call 3D group shooting. At least the ranges I go to, rules is one shot, one target.
Luckily at the club I belong to all shoots are fun shoots except for one money shoot and one Champions shoots. We have our big traditional shoot coming up this weekend so the Rapters and everything else are set up. Had a ball there last night. We have one stake set up on a log that is about three feet up (Chad would love it). The only way to really take the shot (which is between a split limb) is to get your foot up and stand on one leg.

Yup, besides other forms of practice, that's what we do right though the winter. It's a pain finding lost arrows in the snow though. [:@]
I havent' been faithfully doing 3D this summer.

Sounds like you got a nice club.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I shot my first 3D traditional shot, last night. Honest injun....I hit the 12 ring on a 12 yd Wolf....though I was shooting for mid-torso...lol.

I have access to a 3D range and I shoot there at least 3X a week. Problem is.....it's indoors...and my arrows would take a beating on misses (which I don't do with the compound).

4 shots, last night.....one miss...lol. I may move a bunch of 'em up close and shoot some, Saturday.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Id say that when you can Hit within 3 inches of where your aiming at on your very first shot when you first pick up your bow for a practice session at a distance of 15-20 (first shot consistency is very important in my eyes because chances are you only get one shot at a deer and that one shot is your first shot)yards your readyto hunt anything.

what im saying is even if you havent shot for 4 or 5 days or a week or two even...i think a guy should be able to pickup his bow and lay an arrow in there on his very first shot...if you can do that you have a good base for being able to hunt with your bow effectively...butthen hunting presents a whole otherset of problems.

the best way to get good at hunting with your bow is to go out and hunt with it...practice practice practice will only help so much for a hunting situation...but it doesgive a guy a strong base to beable to hunt and huntwith success.