Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

What's the fastest you've heard of???

Old 08-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What's the fastest you've heard of???

If you guys have seen my posts in the bowhunting forum....you'll know I have a target-rich environment where I live. I see a lot of deer.

If I can accomplish what I need to with thinnign does early (Ok...and getting me a buck).....lol....then I might take the longbow out in the late season to take a doe.

We'll se ehow the practicing goes and the progression.

Thanks, guys.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:19 PM

I have found my on deer range is about half of my effective range on targets.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Only you can answer when you are ready.

What you should look at is only your first shot of your practice session
That makes a lot of sense. GMMAT, isn't that ironic?
Old 08-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ironic?

I don't see it that way.

Let me put it in terms I should have to start with.

What do you really learn by shooting "one shot practice"? You either:

a) Learn tht the countless shots youve perfected over repetition have paid off...and that first shot is a no-brainer.....

or

b) You learn that you need MORE REPETITION! (if your "one shot" is a poor one)

One Shot practice (in my book) just doesn't make sense. Oh it sounds good.....but what are you gaining? I KNOW EVERY SHOT is important beofre I pick up my weapon.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not sure if I implied being in favor ofa one shot practice session. If I did, I sure didn't mean to.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:29 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

One Shot practice (in my book) just doesn't make sense. Oh it sounds good.....but what are you gaining? I KNOW EVERY SHOT is important beofre I pick up my weapon.
I sure didn't see where that was implied. You seem to got a idea on what you want to do and how you want to do it. So I say go for it.

Not speaking for anyone, but I think what was meant was, when making a personal goals, its wise to note if one is ready or not by the first arrow of your practice.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

bigcountry....

Early in made a post the other day about how he thought it was a good idea to shoot one arrow.......go do something....and then come back later and shoot another......and he called it "One shot practice".

I had a dissenting view....and he took Bob's words (albeit Bob didn't mean it that way)as an attempt to bolster his argument.

That's why I said what I did. IMO....the first arrow isn't any more important than any other one.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shooting groups is the exact same thing as doing one-shot practice, you just keep repeating that one shot over and over again.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Shooting groups is the exact same thing as doing one-shot practice, you just keep repeating that one shot over and over again.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:19 AM

the only kind of practice I do now is stumping, when I first started I shot into my deer target grouped my arrows in the vitals out to 20yrds with my longbow. It wasn't 3" group or nothing I am not an olympic target shooter and not near that good but as a hunter knowing I can put my arrows in the vitals of a deer is what I need to know. Now when I practice I stump shoot which puts me more into hunting situations and I guess you could call it one shot practice because thats what it is and thats what hunting is. You only get one arrow in a hunting situation. Shooting at a deer target from your deck or backyard is going to be a completely different animal than going inot the woods and shooting through branches and being tuck down ina down fall. Sorry if I got off topic but when it comes to being ready to hunt don't base it on how many arrows you can put into your deer target standing in your back yard or off your deck. Good luck.

Quick Reply: What's the fastest you've heard of???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.