Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Form progression......

Old 08-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Form progression......

Here's what it looked like from my first three sessions.....and after some tips from Matt/PA.

Anything glaring? I hope it got better!.....lol

Old 08-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Form progression......

2nd session......hopefully better posture.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Day 2......better anchor point....

I'd love to hear any more suggestions from you gurus. It's been a blast, so far.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like your anchor position in the third position. However, I really like the low shoulder in the second. If you shot split fingered, you could get the best of both. It's tuff to see without an overhead picture (a video would be much better), but it looks like your draw elbow is not rotated around back far enough. Try doing this, point your draw elbow perpendicular to the bow before drawing, now draw keeping the elbow in this position, can you hit anchor? Yes, but it will be only from using your arm muscles. To finish it off, the elbow has to rotate to be in the same line as the arrow. If the drawing force is not from directly behind the arrow, you will have a tendency to pluck the string. Only way to get it back further is back tension. Picture looking at an overhead: Your draw elbow should be direct opposite from the point of your arrow and a straght line should be seen from the tip to the back of the elbow. Your shoulders should be parrallel to this line.

Other thing I can see is tension in the draw hand. This must be relaxed or you will not get a clean release. Try to think of the fingers as a hook. A good excericise is to get a full can of paint. Pretend the handle is the string and just hook it to pick it up. No tension especially in the back of the hand.

Looks good!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:26 AM

I would pick up the new book out by Larry Wise called "Core Archery". It deals a lot with compound shooting but it works for your form whether your shooting a compound or traditional. I really like it, it is really well written with steps to acheive perfect form evrytime, repeatedly. The form he chooses to incorperate is back tension, using your Rhomboid muscles and your Levetor Scapula. But I like it in the 3rd picture better. I also would try using one finger on top and two on bottom. Good Luck.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:42 PM
bigcountry

All I can say is, think real hard before moving on with the 3 under approach. I wish I could shoot split finger, but I have shooting 3 under for over 2 years now cause bow is tillered for it, and hard to go back mentally. Most reasons I see for going 3 under is people have a bow too short and they get arrow pinch.

Pick your form and stay with it. Don't do like me and change over and over.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:52 PM

Dude- Were you shooting at gravestones? And I hate shooting in grass becasue my arrows snake under the grass and I lost my Carbon arrow today.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Shooting at this.....lol

Old 08-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey at least you're on the target.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:35 PM

How Far are you shooting from with that picture?

Quick Reply: Form progression......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.