Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Longbow arrows

Old 08-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Longbow arrows

Total trad newbie, here (haven't even bought my bow, yet....but will, shortly).

I shoot a Bowtech Allegiance at 66lbs.....but I shoot an overspined arrow (I am one to err on the heavy side) for my setup (whitetail hunter). I am shooting a/c/c 3-71's.

What do I need to know to determine which arrows I would need for a 50# longbow......62"......(I don't know what else to ask). My draw length on my compound is 29"...but it's likely 1/2" too long (if the truth be known).

Where would I begin?

Thanks, in advance, for your responses.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Longbow arrows

The things that you would need to determine the arrow would be:

1. Draw - If you go with a longbow you could loose up to 2" of draw.

2. Poundage at your draw.

3. FF or Dacron String

4. The bows geometry inluding center cut

5. Release, mechanical/fingers - even different styles you use with fingers could effect the arrow.

6. Shooting off shelf/elevated rest even things such as how the shelf is crowned or the riser rounded will effect the arrow

On the other hand, carbons are suppose to be able to handle a wide spectrum. I have/had some grizzly sticks which are suppose to be able to handle a 50-80 pound traditional range (I didn't like them, but other swear by them).

There are probably some other things I left out. The arrows really have to be matched to the bow, but there are some good starting points. I like the chart at FoxFire to get close.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Getting into the nuts and bolts now.

Your draw length is likely to be a solid inch shorter with a longbow than your compound, if not 2". Grip styles aren't very different any more. Most people use the same low wrist grip and soft elbow for compounds that we use for shooting longbows. What makes the difference is, you tend to stretch into the draw length with the let-off on a compound but with a longbow you've got the full draw weight at anchor. That compresses the joints and doesn't let you stretch out like you can with the compound.

So, figure on drawing about 27" with a longbow.

Longbows vary. Some like heavier arrows than others. Shoot 'em with an unweighted carbon and they'll rattle your teeth. Some do just fine with light arrows. I'd imagine you're not quite ready to make the leap all the way to wood arrows yet, and you'll want to stick with carbon for the durability - you ARE going to miss quite a bit at first.

So, for a starter arrow I'd be looking at the Carbon Express Rebel, which I think is just the old Terminator with a new name. Good weight and excellent durability. Size 4560.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I like the chart at FoxFire to get close.
Follow this link for what bob says. Right on for my needs. Easton, Ontarget2, and others are way too stiff. Too stiff with longbow shooting off a shelf is way bad.