Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

I have a question re: string length

Old 05-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I have a question re: string length

My dear old dad picked up an old recurve at a garage sale a few months ago that I want to turn into a bowfishing rig. Generally speaking, isn't there supposed to be some writing on the bow somewhere that will tell me the make/model/poundage/string length? Because there's nothing on this bow at all. Not even anything that looks like it's worn off.

The bow itself doesn't look like anything fancy, and doesn't appear to be worth much (although I could be wrong). It's got an immensely fat grip on it that I can barely bend my fingers around.

With that said - how do I go about figuring what length string I'm going to need for it?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:11 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I have a question re: string length

Could be one someone made at home, could be one that someone refinished,or could have been one that just had a decal that wore off. Can't guarantee this will be dead on, but here's a starting point at least.

First, get the actual AMO bow length. Get a flexible tape (like a steamstress' or tailor's tape). Start at the top of the string groove and measure along the side of the limb, following the curve. Go through the center of the riser to the top of the other string groove--that gives you the AMO bow length.

Most of the old recurves I've owned got a string 4" shorter that the AMO bow length (although AMO specs state 3" shorter). Dacron only for that bow (B-500 or B-50).

Chad