Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Right or left helical?

Old 03-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Right or left helical?

Hey guys, i am just getting ready to order my CX Heratige 150's and was wondering which clamps to order for my jo-jan, right or left? I shoot right handed, and am new on the trad scene so i am looking to gain as much info as i can. Thanks any advice would be very much appriciated!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:56 AM

Default RE: Right or left helical?

It really does not make a difference. Just make sure that you use the same clamp as the feathers i.e. right clamp/right wing feather, left clamp/left wing feather.

Most right handed shooters I know, shoot left wing feathers.

Although it has not happend to me, I have heard that a right handed shooter, shoooting a right wing feather can get cuts on thier hand from the feather rotating into their bowhand.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess Ive always had the....shoot right heli left and shoot left heli right..But thats just how I wastaught 23+yrs ago.....
Old 03-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the answers guys that helps me out. I am really getting into traditional shooting, its a blast!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Left wing for right handed shooters is NOT an old wives' tale or fiction. It dates back to before arrow shelves when everyone shot their off their knuckles. Right wing feathers run the lead end of the feather right into the knuckle, and if the end isn' t glued down good or is pulled up, the knuckle gets impaled by the feather or sliced open. Left wing feathers take the leading end of the fletch off the knuckle, so no cuts.

It still holds true for anyone that shoots off their knuckle. When you' re shooting a bow that has an arrow shelf cut into the handle, right/left helical doesn' t really matter.
Quote by Arthur P
Old 03-27-2007, 06:45 AM
bigcountry

I read by alot of shooters getting sliced being right handed shooting right helical. So I shot left, and never changed. Seems Left feathers are easier to find also.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot left, right, straight, offset, 3 feathers, four feathers, six feathers.... still can't hit anything, but haven't ever torn up my hands either.

A few folks still stick by the left feathers for a righty, even if you are shooting off the shelf. The arguement being that the rotation will push the feathers into the riser and give your arrow a nasty left kick. I can see the point they make, but since I shoot right wing and am right handed (which they say is a no no), and I don't see any difference what so ever, I think its a historical rule of thumb.