Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New to long bows/recurves....recommendations

Old 01-16-2007, 06:09 PM

Default New to long bows/recurves....recommendations

I have been a frequent "reader" of the information on this site regarding traditional equipment. I really have the bug to get a longbow and practice, and at some point, use as my primary archery weapon.

I have read about and talked to many bow makers about their products. What do you all feel is the beifit to recurve versus longbow?

With all of the different quality products out there, which do I lean toward? I honestly am more interested in the longbows. I have talked to 3 rivers about their tomahawk bows. Ihave talked to black widow about their bows. I have also checked out bob lee's bows as well as the check-mate bows.

I need help to make a decision which is best for hunting situations!

I need a bow with a 32" draw, this has always been a limiting factor when picking a bow.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Rick
Old 01-16-2007, 06:34 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: New to long bows/recurves....recommendations

Here is what I suggest. Don't start out with a black widow, or any high dollar bow. I should have listened to some on this sight and looked at rudder bows first. They are lower dollar. And for the first 3months to 6months, your just trying to figure out whats going on. Learn on a cheaper bow, and make the decision on what style you like. Also start out with a 40lb bow. Also with a longbow, your draw will go down an inch maybe more. You might have to get a fiberglass'd backed bow since your draw is so long or have one made for your draw. If you get a solid wood one like hickory, I have been told, don't pull beyond the specified draw. Especially if it starts stacking bad.

Aim Archery is interesting and lower dollar, along with the martin stick. something to consider. I by no means am an expert, but remember little over a year ago I started and wished I could have went back and did things differently. That way after you shot fora while you can make a more informed decision.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i dont really know. I have shot both and it is about the same. But i shot cheap ones and maybe that is why they were not much different
Old 01-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

A long 32" draw is a problem. If your drawlength remains the same with a longbow, then you'll need a custom made longbow. If it were me with that drawlength, I'd start looking at 68" longbows.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:57 PM

Good suggestions. I have read about many of the manufacturers claiming to have smooth and comfortable shooting bows. Have any of you had any experience with these and what would you recommend?

I really hope to make a well informed decision with possibly trying several of the good quality bows and learning to shoot this bow.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 01-16-2007, 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Especially if it starts stacking bad.
Since this is a newbie thread and I'm a newbie I would like to butt in andask what "stacking" is. I have read about it enough to guess that it is when the limbs reach a sort of break-over point?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 09:27 PM
bigcountry

jones, the way I was told, was a bow should have a smooth draw, consistent increase in poundage per inch draw. There comes a point where its not smooth anymore and more you draw, the wieght shoots up. I am sure one of the bowyers on here can explain it better.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand what you are talking about bigcountry. My old bow did this and i had to sell it.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll give you an example of stacking. I've got a 32" draw also, and I'm intimately acquainted with the problem.

I had a mass produced bow that was 45 lbs at 28". It gained 2.5 lbs per inch of draw until it hit 30". Then it suddenly started gaining 5 lbs per inch. It drew 50 lbs at 30", but 60 at 32.

The problem with stack isn't so much it's harder to draw but in performance. I pulled 60 pounds with that bow but those last 10 pounds are packed into the last 2" of draw, where each 10 pounds before was spread out across 4" of draw. What happened was those last 10 pounds only had 2" of power stroke to work with, and that keeps you from being able to take advantage of the extra poundage. So, I wound up with a 60 pound bow that shot just like a 50 pound bow.

I bought a custom recurve made to draw 55 lbs without stack to 32". It shot so much faster and was so much more comfortable with less wear and tear on me... I never bought another mass produced bow.

Some custom bows I've had good results with.

Recurves: Brackenbury Legend. Bighorn Custom TD (out of business but is worth looking for on the used market). ChekMate Kings Pawn Special (I can highly recommend this bow as a low cost, top quality bow).

All these recurves are 64" to 68" long. At 32" draw with a recurve, you really don't want to go much shorter than 64" if you want to keep away from stack.

Longbows: Robertson Stykbow. Saxon Mongoose. 21st Century. Massey Longhorn (out of business, but well worth looking for used). Bill Stewart MultiCam (another that's out of business and very rare on the used market.) Dan Quillian Bamboo Longhunter.

Those are all 68" reflex/deflex design longbows. If a straight limb longbow suits your fancy, Howard Hill Big Five/Wesley Special. I'd got with one 72" long.

As to which is 'better', recurve or longbow, that's a very personal bit of business. Most people seem to shoot recurves better, but not everyone. Even though I absolutely love longbows, I've always shot a recurve much better. On the other hand, I know guys who can't hit the broad side of a barn with a recurve... from INSIDE the barn! But they shoot lights out with a longbow. Frankly, I can't see how any man can keep house without at least one of each.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:47 AM

Wow, thanks for the insightful response. The decision between longbow and recurve is really just in looks..........I know stupid reason!

I guess the main reason for the longbow for me seems to be the smoothness of the draw. With my draw length it has been difficult to always find equipment, but the advantage has always been the speed generated by the longer draw.

The newer longbows with the deflex/reflex design and improved handling seems to make the speed between the two relatively close.

Although if a recurve is "more forgiving" (which I definately need) and easier to shoot.......then recurve would be for me.

Thanks,
Rick

Quick Reply: New to long bows/recurves....recommendations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.