Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

DAS Dalaa ---- I just bought my third ever "new" bow

Old 01-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DAS Dalaa ---- I just bought my third ever "new" bow

I've bent/broken Magnus, Zwickey, Bear and quite a few others. The braodheads that DON'T tip curl at the Thunderhead type heads.
Have you ever tried modifying the tips on the COC heads as Dr. Ashby suggests? It can really work wonders on tip curling.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:16 AM

Stingers are built with a modified tip - no, all COI resharpenable type broadheads I field tested myself tip curled from somewhat to terrible bent.

Zwickeys were the best. All others were bad to terrible.

I don't think its the broadheads ........ shot placement is the most critical thing I'm NOT doing. I know this. But on shots that kinda go bad ........ I need a 55-56# recurve and 600+ grain arrows IMO now

I might try Grizzly broadheads ........ my buddy swears by them and I've never shot them before. Big ole heads, I know that !
Old 01-13-2007, 11:36 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Grizzly heads are tough, but can be tricky to sharpen. Haven't shot anything with them yet because I didn't take the time to figure out how to get them as sharp as I want.

Ribteks are very tough, easy to sharpen, and hold an edge--I've never curled a tip on one. Biggest critter I've shot with those was a TN whitetail, 165-170#.Nicked a rib going in, nicked a rib coming out, arrow buried up 7 5/8" into the ground, no damage to the head.

File the needle tip of a Wensel Woodsman, and they are very tough, sharpen great, and are a lower profile head. The only critters I've shot with WW's were a small hog and a small deer, but penetration was excellent--the arrow never seemed to even slow down with the hog (never found it), and the one on the deer buried up in the ground.

You can damage most any broadhead, but usually that won't happen on an animal, at least not to the point the head doesn't do it's job. The old Bear heads are far from indestructable, but they worked on an elephant. Ribteks are cheap, but many water buffalo and other huge animals have fallen to them. The most recommended head I've seen for water buffalo (I have researched this a lot, because I plan to go for one myself eventually) is the Grizzly.

I still think there's something that's been overlooked. There's too many people that have killed too many animals of the same size and bigger with bows pulling the same and less. It's bugging the snot out of me to figure out just what the missing link is.

Chad

3-D is, in my opinion, the best hunting practice you can get other than actually hunting. You have unknown distances in places you aren't real familiar with, uphill, downhill, brushy, etc. shots, targets can be angles, you shoot at animal targets, you have to walk the course, and you have the tension of your peers whatching you shoot--it's not the same as shooting at an animal, but probably as close as you will get.

Just watching the arrow flight is not a reliable indicator. For bare shafting, you need a soft foam target to see how the arrows are impacting. Paper tuning will also show a lot more than your eyes can.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:04 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Buster T

Chad - I don't know what it is ........... but the last two bucks I shot I didn't get penetration. With a compound I'd have killed both bucks, I KNOW more energy/umpffff behind my arrow would have done the trick.

Thus, a few pounds heavier recurve and I'll be shooting heavier arrows - maybe even (gasp) a pin
Well, stealth, nice looking bow, but if I was going that direction, might as well, go back to compound.Sounds like you like it more anyway.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, stealth, nice looking bow, but if I was going that direction, might as well, go back to compound
There is nothing about a Das/Dalaa that gives any validity to a compound comparison.
Everything on one is technology that was in wide use long before compounds came on the scene.
It is simply one of the best designed HUNTING RECURVES out there - nothing what so ever to do with a compound.

Steve
Old 01-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stingers are built with a modified tip - no, all COI resharpenable type broadheads I field tested myself tip curled from somewhat to terrible bent.

Zwickeys were the best. All others were bad to terrible.
Field tested on animals? That's what Dr. Ashby has done for us. He got tip curling problem pretty muchworked out by modifying the tip(on game anyway). Grizzly's always ended up best in his tests. But like Chad mentioned, I also have a problem sharpening a snigle sided blade.

Man, you must have really had some serious power behind thoseheads to bend them so bad.Also, send the Magnus back, they'll replace them free.

Personally, I never had a problem with tips curling unless I hit a rock or something. But never on the North American game that I have hunted. Never hunted anything like African Buffalo though.On my upcoming Moose trip, I'm planning on using Stos two bladed with my Howard Hill Longbow (74#'s at 29").
Old 01-13-2007, 02:28 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Well, stealth, nice looking bow, but if I was going that direction, might as well, go back to compound
There is nothing about a Das/Dalaa that gives any validity to a compound comparison.
Everything on one is technology that was in wide use long before compounds came on the scene.
It is simply one of the best designed HUNTING RECURVES out there - nothing what so ever to do with a compound.

Steve
Sorry that doesn't sit well with ya. Personal opinion, yours differs.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you could share some of the things you feel make a Das fall in the compound class?

Steve
Old 01-13-2007, 05:43 PM
bigcountry

SteveB, like I said before, my post was never aimed at you or meant to offend you, but traditional is different things for different people. I can't put hard rules behind it. But for me, traditional is a one piece bow, and materials of the bow and arrows to be not machined metal.For some folks its no backing, and others its a self bow,and arrows withbone nocks. You got to find your own way my man, I can't do it for you.A riser made out of T7 machined aluminum just doesn't count in my book.It does to you. So your a happy man. For me, if I was steathy, I would go ahead and shoot compound. His money, his bow.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The metal riser/wood grip, thepaint finish, and the inserts availablefor stabilizer, rest and sights are the onlysimularities i see...other than that its no more modern than anyone elses take down recurve....
just because it isnt a longbow doesnt mean its any less traditional...and if hethinks a sight pin will remedy his arrow placement problems theres nothing wrong with installing one

i thinkthere is nothing wrong with compound shooters...i dont understand the Compound vs. Traditional(Blood vs. Crips) Gangbanger mentality some poeple display...Get over it...We all share the same passion...and the only real difference between the compound guy and the trad guy is the equipment we choose to shoot...other that that itall still boils down to the moment of Truth.

Quick Reply: DAS Dalaa ---- I just bought my third ever "new" bow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.