Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Somebody recommend a tougher glove?

Old 02-10-2007, 02:08 PM

Default RE: Somebody recommend a tougher glove?

The super glove !! non better ! period
Tj
Old 08-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt / PA, I've been using the Schulz American Leather glove that you sold me. It took me a long while to decide whether to even give it a chance or not, butsince I have it hasturned into my #1 glove. I did dye it black though. Didn't care for that light color.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I ended up with the skookum. ONLY one I'v eever owned.....so I have nothing to compare it to.

Is it OK, comparatively?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bob,
Glad to hear it is working out for you! I was wondering the other day about that as I remember you thinking that the stalls were a little long.
Good deal!

Jeff,
when I originally brought this question up I was really struggling with some finger tip pain. I was shooting sooooooooooooooooo much and at a heavy draw weight so my fingers were taking a beating not being used to that pressure.
Since then they've just sort of adapted and I can shoot pretty much any soft "feel" type glove.
That Skookum glove is a great glove and it will serve you well. The one I have and use right now is similar in the 3 Rivers "Dura Glove" same style except the overlays are cordura. Its wearing extremely well for the amount of shooting I do with it.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Matt:

I bet you bought a 55# model, didn't you???

I think I wish I had.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah I have a 55# at 28" Montana, and my Black Widow recurve is 57# at 29".........at my draw length the longbow is 61# and change and the recurve is a touch over 62#. (or the other way around?)

It took a while for that weight to feel easy. You'll do fine with the 50# right now and I think your learning curve will be quicker because you will spend less time struggling with the weight and more time refining your form and learning a good consistent anchor.

I am pretty much a horse of a guy and can draw 100#+ compounds pretty easily and even I think I started at too high of a draw weight. 50# would have been a better choice and I had to fight through the finger pain and strain of the weight where I could have been working more on form.

Its all good now for me but don't second guess yourself on weight right now.......if it feels comfortable and you feel like you want or can handle maybe more weight then GOOD! Leave it alone. Thats what Ken Beck at Black Widow told me.
Shoot that thing for a while, get everything down and then you can always trade for another bow. You wouldn't believe the classified market on traditional bows! Simply not enough time and money
Old 08-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was wondering the other day about that as I remember you thinking that the stalls were a little long.
Yea, that's what was making me think why bother with it at first. But after giving it a real chance, I actually like them better. I figured though if it was what the Schulz family preferred, there must be something to it. I,m thinking of ordering another onefor a backup since it is so different then any other gloveout there.