Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Handshock Minimized

Old 12-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Handshock Minimized

Thanks to all who posted suggestions on how to deal with handshock when shooting a longbow. I increased the brace height and modified my grip - bothapproacheshelped. I think my shoulder muscles are getting used to shooting 55#:at least it doesn't feel like I am getting punched in the shoulder after every shot.

I am havingarrows made thatare the appropriate spine - thisshould helpeven more.

I look forward toshooting carp and deer next year!
Old 01-14-2007, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Handshock Minimized

don't forget to break your elbow on your bow arm...acts like a shock absorber...watch for photos of h. hill...bow arm is not locked at the elbow.
gr
Old 01-14-2007, 08:29 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: fishpoint

Thanks to all who posted suggestions on how to deal with handshock when shooting a longbow. I increased the brace height and modified my grip - bothapproacheshelped. I think my shoulder muscles are getting used to shooting 55#:at least it doesn't feel like I am getting punched in the shoulder after every shot.

I am havingarrows made thatare the appropriate spine - thisshould helpeven more.

I look forward toshooting carp and deer next year!
Man, that doesn't sound good if you feel like your getting punched in the shoulder. I have some microtears on my rotator. Be careful man. It ain't no joke overdoing it. When I got my longbow, I was really overdoing the shooting. Like 200 arrows a day. Thats when my right shoulder felt painful to the touch, where the ruptures were occuring.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

200 arrows a day! I am nowhere near that. I am shooting about 4x per week (~50 arrows per session). I just read Byron Ferguson's 'Become the Arrow' (recommended by a hunting.net member) andit improvedmy shooting. I now anchor to my 2nd bicuspid on my upper jaw and I keep a bend in my elbow. It doesn't feel like I am getting punched in the shoulder.

Thanks for the advice about overdoing it - I have tendency to get overzealous at times and usually pay for it down the road.