Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

penitration

Old 12-21-2006, 07:44 PM

Default penitration

Hello. I shoot cedar arrows with my recurve and would like to get more penitration. Any ideas how. Possibly a new recurve? Thanks. Tine
Old 12-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: penitration

penetration in a target or on a deer?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:16 PM

Factors that effect penetration:

Sharp broadheads
Tuned arrows
Speed
Weight
Shaft diameter

Old 12-21-2006, 08:38 PM

OOOOH. A very loaded question.

Staying with the same bow/arrow set up, and razor sharp broadheads, the answer would be adding weight to the arrow. Dr. Asby published a very in depth and informative report reguarding this topic.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tine
like to get more penitration.
your having Penetration Problems eh???? they make pills for that!!!

siriously tho... a new bow isn't going to help unless you can pull considerably more weight like 8-10 lbs more...Tip sharpness effects Penetraion in targets the most...for example my 55lbs bowwith a new sharp field point will penetrate better than a guys 65 pund bow with a dull tip...same apply's to your hunting heads....moving up in total arrow weight is the only other thing that will help you "quite noticably"in a hunting situation, if you cant shoot accurately with more pullweight.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:43 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

One thing that's often overlooked is how your nock fits the string. When it fits too tight it will rob you of energy, plus make it very difficult to get good arrow flight--both of these will hinder penetration. With a properly tuned set-up, sharp cut-on-contact broadheads, and a reasonbly heavy arrow, 40# will poke a hole in both sides of a whitetail.

Chad
Old 12-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LBR

One thing that's often overlooked is how your nock fits the string. When it fits too tight it will rob you of energy, plus make it very difficult to get good arrow flight--both of these will hinder penetration.
Any ideas on how much energy it robs' tho?? i'm curious now....

i know too much nockpinch is bad for arrow flight...my buddy drills his knocks out so theydont "pinch"the string at all...it gives me fits when i shoot one of his bows...i shoot 3 under and it makes me look like a retard when the arrow falls off the string all the time.
(im just not used to it....plus he uses a thread wrapped around his string and Dabbed with a little bit of glue for a nock set...wich isbetter suited to a split finger guy)
Old 12-23-2006, 04:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on how tight the nock fits the string. You'd really have to shoot through a chronograph and do the numbers crunching to figure out how much energy tight fitting nocks cause. I've seen as much as 25 fps difference between an extremely tight nock and one that fits properly.

Another item that can drastically affect arrow speed is how clean your release is. A clean release can get an additional 10-15 fps. Even more if you use a static hold at anchor that you let creep forward at release and switch to a dynamic pull-through, back tension release.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:29 PM

you could try heavier arrows