Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

best rucurve for the money?

Old 12-06-2006, 09:06 PM

Default RE: best rucurve for the money?

I have hunted with a couple different ones.....it comes down to your personal preference in style, price, and recommendations from other hunters.....
Old 12-10-2006, 06:17 AM

For the money you simply cannot beat the older Fred Bear Recurves.
Bows like the Bear Kodiak, Kodiak Hunters, Kodiak mags, and the mid 1960's Grizzly's will shoot as good as any of the one piece recurves being made today, and in my opinion arebetter than many of the so called "custom" bows being sold today.

They are well built, stable, and very shootable. The great thing is they sell for very reasonable prices on E-bay, and other auction sites. Having owned , and sold off many of the big named customs, I am convinced that I would have served myself, and my pocketbook much better years ago to have invested in vintage bows.

Add to that, the older bows go up in value, while the new customs depreciate very quickly.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:32 AM

rush,

I have just the one for you.

Ancient Spirits Thunderhawk - 64" - 50#'s at 28 Ambrosia maple riser and limbs. Beautiful bow.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:12 PM

Another vote for Chek-Mate. I have a Hunter II amd I love it. It's 58" 50#@ 28". Doesn't stack. Nice and stable and pretty fast. The workmanship is great.Absolutely no complaints. You'll have to wait a while to get one, but it's worth it. Especially for the $$$$$.

Chris
Old 12-19-2006, 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: greenkodiak

For the money you simply cannot beat the older Fred Bear Recurves.
Bows like the Bear Kodiak, Kodiak Hunters, Kodiak mags, and the mid 1960's Grizzly's will shoot as good as any of the one piece recurves being made today, and in my opinion arebetter than many of the so called "custom" bows being sold today.

They are well built, stable, and very shootable. The great thing is they sell for very reasonable prices on E-bay, and other auction sites. Having owned , and sold off many of the big named customs, I am convinced that I would have served myself, and my pocketbook much better years ago to have invested in vintage bows.

Add to that, the older bows go up in value, while the new customs depreciate very quickly.
I agree.
I found an old well usedBrowning Waspin a pawn shop for $15 and a like newBear Grizzly for $45 bothare consistant shooters.
A little calling around to different pawn shops can really pay off...a lot of times they have the "how much will you give me?" attitude, especially when it comes to traditional archery equipment.
I have seenseveral at swapmeets and fleamarkets too.