Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Recurve Kill #2

Old 10-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Recurve Kill #2

Yesterday morning dawned clear and cool. I found myself sitting in a ladder stand just off of the edge of an alfalfa field. Shooting time came at6:36 a.m. and by 8:55 I was thinking the squirrels I had been watching all morning were going to be the only thing I would see. Just then, four does came running in from the field and one of them stopped a mere five yards from my stand. She was quartering away and focused on what had spooked them. I quickly glanced in the direction they had come from thinking maybe a buck had tried to get frisky a little too early. Instead, I saw a coyote crossing the field and I instantly shifted my focus back to the doe in front of me. I started to ease the recurve back while focusing on a tuft of lighter colored hair just behind her shoulder. The wood shaft tipped with a Wensel Woodsman slipped through her lungs before I could blink. She jumped a little, looked back at the arrow, and started to walk away. The telling signs of a good hit began to flow out of both sides of her rib cage as she calmly walked. She stopped after about twenty yards, looked around, and fell over. I was elated to say the least! Two deer in the first two weeks of season with my new recurve. I couldn't be more happy. I will say this though, I am finding it harder and harder to not go buy a digital camera. I have always dabbled in photography and spent a small fortune on a nice 35mm. four years ago. So I am having a hard time justifying the money for a digital. I just hate not being able to post pics. I hope the rest of you traditional hunters are having good luck too.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:11 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Recurve Kill #2

Congrats again! Man......and I haven't even been in the woods yet! ARRRGGHHH!!![:@]

Shop around and you can get a really good deal on a camera. Prices have come down and picture quality has gone up.

I'm no expert by any means, but my Fuji FinePix E550 takes great pictures and didn't cost a bundle. I've had it almost a year now, so it's probably a "dinosaur" already, but I'm happy with it.

Chad
Old 10-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice on the camera Chad. I'll have to check it out. Once again, thanks for selling me this bow. For anyone looking to get into traditional, I cannot speak highly enough of my Chek Mate Falcon. While this transition has never been easy, I have never felt like I was "fighting" my bow.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:54 PM

Congrats on the kill!! I'm still waiting on my first deer with the longbow...... This will be my second season and I hope it's better than last year, which only provided 2 deer in bow range!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:32 PM

Congratulations !
Old 10-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well done! I'm still waiting for my first with trad gear as well. I'll be out this weekend and see what happens.