Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

First Traditional Kill ( Long Read)

Old 10-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default First Traditional Kill ( Long Read)

I got to my stand this afternoon at 3:30. It got a little warmer than I would have preferred, 77 degrees, but I still had to go. I started seeing deer at 4:30 and had them around me for the remainder of my hunt. From 4:30 on I had a constant stream of does and fawns feeding in all directions around me. I had several broadside shots at 25-30 yds., but since this is my first season with the recurve, I have imposed a strict 20 yd. limit on myself. I was perfectly content watching so many deer feed around me. There is so much you can learn by simply watching them when they are relaxed.
At about 5:45 a small doe, or so I thought, started munching on acorns heading my way. I stood slowly, got my bow off of my e-z hanger, and tried to gain my composure. As the deer closed the distance I went through my mental check list, pick a spot, anchor, follow through, etc. When the deer turned broadside at 18 yds. I eased the bow back and picked out a hair in the pocket behind the shoulder.
THWACK! somehow the arrow split the hair I was focused on. The deer lunged forward and ran towards my tree. I could see the blood flowing heavily from the entrance as the deer ran towards me. The deer bounced off of a tree right in front of me, turned, ran into the tree I was sitting in, and piled up within two feet of my climbing stick.
I had to sit down as I tried to process all that had just unfolded in front of my eyes. I had so many emotions running trough my head that it was overwhelming. As soon as I could focus I said a prayer of thanks, took a couple of pics with my phone from the stand, and climbed down.
The deer ended up being a button buck, and I can honestly say that it meant more to me to put my hands on it, than any other deer I have taken in the past 16 seasons. I have never worked so hard for anything hunting related in my life. All of those hours practicing, letting deer walk that were in easy "compound range", all of the ribbing from my buddies, it was all worth it. As I type this, with a belly full of fresh tenderloin, I am the happiest man on earth.
I will try to have my business partner take some pics in the morning. I still don't own a digital camera. Sorry for such a long read, but I am PUMPED!
Old 10-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: First Traditional Kill ( Long Read)

Congratulations on your deer! There is nothing like taking an animal with a string and a stick. Get us some picks.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sweetness man, I can't wait for my first trad kill. I'll be taking it with me this weekend. Congratulations!!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:38 PM
bigcountry

Man, thats a great story. You guys are makin me jealous. I have planed since winter to use my longbow this year. And then 3 weeks before the season, I tore something in my shoulder. I have killed 3 times with the wheel bow, but I won't practice, I only pull back on deer. So since I can't practice with the longbow, I just won't take it. Oh well, guess I should be thankful for what I got. Maybe I can get on track in a few months. Shoulder was feeling good until I took a nice 8pt on Sat, and hurt it again pulling the deer out.

I am jealous of you. But happy for you

Old 10-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Key

Congrats.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

rdy2hnt...thats the ticket..your are your way o great archer..thats exactly what we all feel..in the killing zone
Old 10-10-2006, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am still on cloud 9! I can't wait to get out there and try for another one. I couldn't get any pics other than the ones on my phone. I had him butchered before my partner got here and we had too much work to do for me to wait. The joys of owning your own business. Good luck to all of you. I can't wait to read some more stories like mine.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome, congratulations!