Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

feather help

Old 08-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default feather help

i know i dont shoot traditional gear, but i know many of you guys use feathers. i lurk on this board. i do hope one day to get myelf a longbow. i love the looks of a nice longbow. just figured i better learn the compound first. im shooting 4 inch feathers on my arrows right now. i just got my bow a week ago, but shot close to 1000 shots give or take. ive never done anything with my feathers other then run my finger over them to try to get them back together. the barbs? kinda seperated on some of them in a few places. i dont know how that effects flight if at all i cant tell. but i noticed they are making a....hissing noise now. they arent in terrible shape. i was thinking about boiling water in a tea pot and steaming them over the steam like i would my fishing flies. it brings them back to shape.....how do you bring feathers back to shape??

also...i want to waterproof them. i cant find anything locally, didnt try the bowshop yet, but if i cant find anything(i dont wanna pay 8$ shipping for a 5$ item!) i was thinking of using fly fishing powder that keeps dry flys dry and float. im betting its the same stuff and i have some handy if thats advisable. anyone ever try that or anythingelse i can use that i can find locally??

thanks guys...i figured you guys would know your stuff about feathers. i love my feathers and the looks of a finely hand dipped and crested arrow with nice feathers sparks my fire..i hope to get into dipping and cresting maybe this winter.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:02 PM

Default RE: feather help

Just spray some hair spray over them and run your fingers through them, if they still make noise you need to replace them. Hair spray waterproof them also.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Holding the feathers over boiling water will allow them to pop back into shape, just like your flies. I use Scotchgard to waterproof them. I spray them once before the season. It lasts all year.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Alex The Hawk

Just spray some hair spray over them and run your fingers through them, if they still make noise you need to replace them. Hair spray waterproof them also.
alex covered this perfectly. i couldnt have said it any better myself.