Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

looking for book on arrow straightening

Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 AM

Default looking for book on arrow straightening

I have been wanting to do up some of my own wood shafts starting with blanks. But I have no idea about straightening and such. I know I can order them thru 3Rivers already done but since I will need to maintain then I figured it would be good to learn to do it myself.

Anyone know a good book, etc with easy to read detailed instructions on preping and maintaining shafts?

Old 08-10-2006, 05:27 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: looking for book on arrow straightening

Just a suggestion. I got a dozen 3R wood arrows, and say stay away from them. Spine varys greatly and were not hand strightened when I got them and some won't hold thier straightness after hand straighening.

I hear Arrows by Kelly at foxfire is pretty good. Olsouth arrows are supposed to be quality. Also suggest tapered.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:59 AM

Thanks. They were the only one I could think of off hand. I really don't care who has blanks as long as they are consistant. I just want to try my hands at making some arrows start to finish. I just don't know how to do that straightening thing the right way.

(besides I just picked up an feather cutter from a cousin and have a bunch of crow wings worth of feathers to play with along with turkey feathers. That and I made a few cast sterling heads and some bronze broadheads for the heck of it. Figured 3 or 4of themnot to shoot but just for conversation pieces, along witha dozen plusdone up with "real" heads, would be nice)
Old 08-10-2006, 01:01 PM
bigcountry

PM alexthehawk, he can help you out. Or go to trad gang.com