Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Problems shooting recurve

Old 08-02-2006, 09:37 PM

Default Problems shooting recurve

I cant seem to shoot my recurve accurately. Ive been shooting trad bows since last December. At first i was improving, but after i sold my compound and bought a good recurve, it seems like im getting worse. No, i dont think its form since im comfortable when im shooting and i do the same thing every shot. Im not overbowed. i started at 30 pounds, went to 40, then 45, and now im at 50 pounds and it is a comfortable weight for me. I have no idea why i cant shoot good groups. Ive been trying to shoot instinctively, but have tried gap for a while with terrible results. I cant look down the arrow sinse i have glasses. Before each shot, I get comfortable, concentrate on the spot i want to hit, draw, anchor, and release. I do everything the same each shot but the arrows fly everywhere. Ive been practicing within 10 yards all the time. usually at 8 yards. Deer season is only a month and a half away and my shooting really sucks. Anybody have some tips, pointers, suggestions etc.at why im not a good shot? Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated
Old 08-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Problems shooting recurve

Are you shooting the same arrows you shot with the 30,40 & 45# bows?If you are,that's most likely your problem.What kind of arrows are you shooting now?
Old 08-03-2006, 05:23 AM

For the 30 pounder i wasnt really concerened with arrows, i just wanted to get used to shooting without a sight and to work on form.

For the 40 and 45 pound recurves, I used easton 1816's. They flew great out of the bow (well, at least until they bent, LOL)

I bought some cabelas outfitter series carbons. 45/60 spine and left them about 2" longer than my draw. I shoot them with 140 grain tips and they fly pretty good. They also bareshafted well.

Today im going to try some different tip weights.

My groups are usually decent, but they dont hit where im trying to. Sometimes they go everywhere. Its confusing
Old 08-03-2006, 06:29 AM
bigcountry

I feel for ya 24, I started about the same time, and I felt like my skills shot up and then floundered. I really haven't improved much in over 2 months. I shoot 5 nights a week. One thing I know I am doing. I am good for 30 arrows, but I usually push it to 70 arrows or so. By the end of the shooting, my shootng sucks, my release sucks, concentration gone, left shoulder can't hold on target. And that beats on you mentally. So from tonight on, I think I will shoot 12-20 arrows and call it a day.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

1. Don't panick

Can you post a video clip of your shooting?

There are a few things that I tell myself when I start shooting bad. Maybe it will help.

Take time in between shots (at least 20-30 seconds). Think about each shot and move on.
Keep bow arm up. As Ferguson says, as in a vise.
Do not flinch upon release (I got a habit at times)
Pull from drawing elbow, not from fingers. DO not let fingers release the string (they can't get out of the way fast enough)
Align everything, tip of arrow, nock, back of drawing elbow.
Back tension, back tension, back tension

Go back to 5 yards until you can stack them, I bet it doesn't take long, then move back 1 yards at a time.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:02 AM
bigcountry

I still don't think I got the release thing down. I have read, studied, talked heard. I am pulling back with my arm/back, and as soon as I hit the corner of my mouth, I continue to pull engaging my back even more, and then bam, the string seems to come out of my fingers. should be conscience of releasing or should it be happening like it is? Should I try to keep the string on the fingers and deliberatly relax the back of my hand or let it happen naturally like I am doing now. Like I am doing now, seems to have good follow thru.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Big, practice with a full paint can. You can hold the handle of the can in the same exact place you hold your string as long as you use a deep hook. Now relax the hand, and finger hook will still hold the can.