Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

To rest or to shelf?...

Old 07-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default To rest or to shelf?...

As of right now, I'm shooting off of the arrowshelf with mole skin on the bottom and on the side. I picked up a satellite stick on rest but haven't put it on yet. Anyone have any advantages or disadvantages of either? I appreciate all the input.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:55 AM

Default RE: To rest or to shelf?...

Shooting off a rest to me takes a bit away from the fluidity of trad archery. I want to be able to cant my bow, super cant it, I want to nock and shoot ......... and not worry about the arrow falling off the rest

That said .......... the great Paul Schafer shot aluminums off an elevated rest, that has to mean something
Old 07-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you'll find that shooting off the shelve will make aiming easier. The closer the arrow is to your hand, the easier it is to aim. It becomes just like pointing your index finger. I started with an elevated rest. After a few years, I went tothe shelf. I wouldn't consider going back.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:41 AM
bigcountry

The closer the arrow is to your hand, the easier it is to shoot instintively I found. If you have elevated rest, most put sights on too. And shoot vertically.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have elevated rest, most put sights on too.
Not in my experiance.

And shoot vertically
I shoot vertical or nearly so - but cant if conditions require it with no problems if you practise it.

A rest simply allows for a much more forgiving and easier to tune setup to acheive the best arrow flight consistently. Few of us are blessed with a perfect release and/or form on every shot - therefore the more forgiving your setup, the better the chance of good flight with those less than perfect shots happen.

Steve

Old 07-31-2006, 01:01 AM

A rest simply allows for a much more forgiving and easier to tune setup to acheive the best arrow flight consistently
I disagree. Its even more critical to have proper release with a rest I think because of the contact the arrow has with the rest itsself. A mistkee in release with a seal skin shelf etc allow archers paradox to help elimate that release error.

I've bare shaft tuned quite a few bows and find off the shelf tuning pretty easy and I aint a smart guy to start with !
Old 07-31-2006, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I disagree. Its even more critical to have proper release with a rest I think because of the contact the arrow has with the rest itsself. A mistkee in release with a seal skin shelf etc allow archers paradox to help elimate that release error.
Not in my experiance - a flipper or springy/plunger has give and forgiveness built in.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

If you have elevated rest, most put sights on too.
Not in my experiance.

And shoot vertically
I shoot vertical or nearly so - but cant if conditions require it with no problems if you practise it.

A rest simply allows for a much more forgiving and easier to tune setup to acheive the best arrow flight consistently. Few of us are blessed with a perfect release and/or form on every shot - therefore the more forgiving your setup, the better the chance of good flight with those less than perfect shots happen.

Steve

Man, don't talk to me,tell the the guy asking the question. I don't have much experience on traditionals, but read any of the guys books on barebow shooting, and this is what they say. I don't know, I have seen bryon ferg shoot. I haven't seen you.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry -didn't mean for it to sound critical - just trying to provide another veiw for the question.

You missed me doing the warm up for Byron?

Steve
Old 07-31-2006, 08:20 AM
bigcountry

I understand what your sayin steve. Your arrow spine is not near as critical, and not near as critical for tuning. But if you find the spine that the paradox will wrap around the riser and give good arrow flight, it doesnt' matter. I think thats what your sayin. I found the perfect spine to do this with my longbow with aluminum arrows, but I have been having trouble with cedars because of inconsistent spine I think.