Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Message to Compound Shooters Moving to Trad

Old 07-27-2006, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Message to Compound Shooters Moving to Trad

I just want to welcome you to traditional. And please do not get discouraged by some of the recent posts that I felt were offensive. Please feel free to ask questions. There are a bunch of great people here who are more then willing to help and learn. There are many traditional archers who have moved to traditional from compound. Personally, I used to shoot recurve to start with in the late 70's early 80's, and then moved to compound for many years. I have been back to traditional now exclusively for a few years, and have trouble even looking at my compound which has been collecting dust for the past few years.

Be careful because the traditional bug bites hard, and you may find as many have that picking up the compound may be very hard to do.

Good luck on your journey, and keep posted, I at least am interested in hearing your questions, concerns, and experiences.

Bob

Old 07-27-2006, 10:27 AM

Default RE: Message to Compound Shooters Moving to Trad

I know what you are saying, after seeing Fred Eichler this past year on the outdoor channel i couldn't resist getting a recurve.

I got heavy into archery because with gun hunting to me it seems that if you can see it its dead. Obviously not the case with a compound plus all the benefits you get of hunting the rut.

BUT now that i got my recurve, the challenge has been stepped up a big notch. I have been trying to shoot a lont in my basement, 17yards, and i am getting pretty good groups within a 6 inch circle (group size).

I can't wait to get into the woods this year but i don't know how i would feel if i leave my compound at the house one day an a great big buck walks by at 35 to 40 yards and i am out of my range. That may take some time to get over. If i had my own land it wuldn;t bother me as much because the buck could always be ther another day but where i hunt pressure is pretty hard and with poaching if you don't get there gone.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Message to Compound Shooters Moving to Trad

BUT now that i got my recurve, the challenge has been stepped up a big notch.
The challenge is what it is all about.

17yards, and i am getting pretty good groups within a 6 inch circle (group size)
That's amazing shooting. Congrats!

I can't wait to get into the woods this year but i don't know how i would feel if i leave my compound at the house one day an a great big buck walks by at 35 to 40 yards and i am out of my range. That may take some time to get over.
Personally, I limit myself to 20 yards, and if one happens to walk beyond that I believe it just wasn't meant to happen. Seeing a bruiser is 50% of the fun of hunting for me.