Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

dilema

Old 11-02-2002, 07:14 PM

Default dilema

I am thinking for my next bow i might buy a recurve. I am not sure though because this is my first year bowhunting and i am currently shooting a compound bow. Is there any advantage to shooting a recurve over a compound. i am not sure if i will like the recurve or the compound better. Could i please have your opinion. Thank you.

Bowhunter_45
Old 11-02-2002, 07:36 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: dilema

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Compounds are easier to learn to hit a target with. Adjust the sights, put the pin on the target, and have at it. You can generally hit (stationary) targets at a longer distance with a compound also.

In the long run though, I believe longbows and recurves have the over-all advantage. Not much to go wrong with a stick and a string. Most don't have nearly as much mass weight, so they aren't a burden to carry around all day. If you drop one, you don't have to worry about re-adjusting anything. Next year's model will not make the one you just bought obsolete. You don't have to think about what pin to use, forgetting your release aid, or screws getting loose.

Traditional bows do require more dedication to become, and remain, proficient though. You can't pick it up, make sure the sights are still on, and go hunting. You don't go buy one, set it up at the shop, and take it hunting the next morning.

Traditional bows are not for everyone. Some folks don't enjoy archery enough to practice like they need to, and some just don't have time. Some get aggravated when they have to pass on a shot that would be "easy" with a compound. It's all up to you. If you really enjoy archery and love a challenge, most likely you would really enjoy a recurve. There is nothing wrong with admitting that it's just not for you though, if it isn't. If it is, we will be glad to help any way we can. It becomes an addiction, and I found a satisfaction that I never found with firearms or compounds.

Good luck!

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 11-02-2002, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: dilema

Yes indeed, I agree with everything that LBR has written here. I'd like to add, that if you decide to buy one, get a used bow that's around 40-45 pounds at your draw length on the recurve, which could be shorter than your draw with your compound. It's going to take considerably more time and effort from you in order to obtain any kind of consistent accuracy, so be prepared for that aspect of shooting a stick. Whatever you decide, have fun.

Make em sharp and shoot em straight, or leave em home.