Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Breath Control

Old 05-24-2006, 09:49 AM
bigcountry

Default Breath Control

I was reading Bryon Ferguson's book and he talks about a pretty complicated thing. Here is what it says basically.

He said to hold in your breath by pushing out your adomen and it gives you a sense of lowering your sense of gravity. He then says to draw to anchor but never stop drawing, and continue to pull by pushing your elbow back, then kinda inhale more to fill your lungs, and this will expand your chest and keeps you continually pulling to get a clean release.

Man, I understand the instructions, but its tough to follow it to the letter.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Breath Control

Yea, Byron has a pretty complicated sytem of breathing. I understnad what he is saying, but don't really duplicate it exactly. I think it is good to exhale and inhale from the diaphram. I don't howver exhale before drawing to the point of almost passing out. I do exhale before the draw however. I inhale and draw, then hold and release before exhaling. I think Welsch points of having some sort of consistant pre-draw routine (including inhaling and exhaling) makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's easy to do with a compound, in practice or tournament situations. But with a stickbow, in the woods, I've never even considered breath control. Of course, I ain't no Byron Ferguson either.[8D]
Old 05-24-2006, 06:51 PM
bigcountry

Goodness, I went thru a new 3D course tonight. Boy following his breath control, really screwed me up tonight. Too many things to think about on a 3D course.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Boy following his breath control, really screwed me up tonight. Too many things to think about on a 3D course.
When trying to shoot for acurracy, I wouldn't suggest thinking about much other thenfocusing on thetarget and keeping proper alignment.

Aspects of form need to be worked on until they become something that you do naturally without putting much conscious effect into.

When working on form, I'd suggest onlyworking on one or two aspects at a time. Accuracy shouldn't be one of them.

I very rarely work on breathe control if at all, it was one of those aspects that was picked up rather quickly and something I do automatically.

FWIW, I still work on various aspects of form on about a 50/50 basis with accuracy.