Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

a little off season fun!

Old 05-10-2006, 09:04 PM

Default a little off season fun!

Took the old curve out for some bowfishing for the first time. If you havn't tried I will worn you it is addictive. I hunted for about 45 minutes and wound up with 7 gar. I missed propably that many. Takes a few to get adjusted to the light refraction. I would recommend it to anyone who has the off season blues.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:08 PM

Default RE: a little off season fun!

I'm going out bowfishing for carp this weekend at my lake cabin. I'll be using a compound, though. Hopefully, the carp will have moved into the shallows. It's been cooler than normal up here, so we'll have to see.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:10 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

LOVE IT! Haven't been this year (yet), but plan on it. We can shoot carp, gar (several types), sheephead, drum, and buffalo. Hope to go for stingray again one of these days--those buggers put up one more fight!

Chad
Old 05-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Bow fishing is great. Love when the carp are spawning.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

LBR
Can yall shoot flownder. I have gaffed them before in Biloxi, Gulf Shores, as well as Avery Island and all over the Texas shore line, and have always wondered what it would be like to shoot them. Something else that is fun is to shoot is frogs . My older brother and I use to go in the swamps of Louisianna and would shoot frogs while the others would gig em. We didnt get as many as they did, but had more fun.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:22 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Dunno on the flounder--I've never been to the Gulf (I live up in the NE corner of the state). We shot the stingrays in FL a couple years ago (and carp are protected in FL--go figure--guess they are reserved for 'gator food).

If you ever get a chance to go for stingray, don't pass it up--even the smaller ones put up one heck of a fight! Pretty good to eat too, except the meat on the bigger ones is very coarse. When you get into the 25# and up range, use a bottle rig, or you are liable to loose your bow--did I mention they put up a fight?

Chad
Old 05-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I can imagine. We use to spend a night catching themto use for Shark bait the following night. They fight like mad, and make great shark bait. Caught some nice bullsharks, Lemon sharks, and tigger sharks with stingrays as bait.