Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Left wing feathers

Old 05-10-2006, 08:52 PM
bigcountry

Default Left wing feathers

I must be the dumbest guy to start traditional archery. I thought feathers with a right twist (front turning to right) was right wing feathers. I have been struggling putting them on with a RW blitenburger clamp.

Anyone else make this mistake? Was at a archery shop today and started reading the feathers and it said LW, I just shook my head.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:08 PM

Default RE: Left wing feathers

I must be a dummy too, or I guess my friend who got me into arrow building is too.I have been using left wing feathers for a left helical twist myself. Sometimes I have a hard time getting them in the jig but from the most part it has been ok.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:06 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Easy mistake to make. If your feathers aren't labeled, try this. Looking from the back of the feather, if the leading edge of the quill is on the right hand side, it's a left-wing feather. For instance, if it looks more or less like this L it's left wing.

Chad
Old 05-10-2006, 10:25 PM
bigcountry

I just assumed, you would get more twist putting the L shaped feather on with right helical clamp. But now, see the inside of a L shaped feather would gather more air for more spin.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:55 AM

Everyone does it when starting out, and even when experienced,lol
Old 05-13-2006, 06:18 AM

yep, holding a feather like you're going to place it on the shaft and it bending towards the left is a right fletch, and bending towards the right is a left fletch.

You can feltch them left/left and right/right as well, but won't get quite the good fletch that they're intended to get IMO.