Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Three finger under

Old 04-30-2006, 09:53 PM
bigcountry

Default Three finger under

Guys been shooting alot lately working on my form.

I have been shooting split finger, with limited success. Having trouble getting even pressure on my fingers. Sometimes wonderful flight, you know when a shot feels and looks good. But other half of the time, arrow flipping, forgot a step, didn't concentrate, etc. I then tried three under again. And bam, wonderful arrow flight. Its like my bow is balanced for a lower draw. I was shooting great it with it. I like the arrow being so close to my eye and horzizontial hits are not an issue with me. I have been struggling to figure out my cant for good hits left or right. But three under I don't seem to have an issue. And pressure on my three fingers seem much more even.

Think its a good idea to continue down this route?

Old 05-01-2006, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Three finger under

That's awesome! I know you were having some troubles and getting frustrated so it's good to hear things are starting to click for you.A buddy of mine recently went to 3 under and his shooting has definitely improved so if it works for you-it's the route to go.
BTW,there's a traditional only shoot at the Baltimore Bowmen club May 19-21-it's just north of Balt. off Cub Hill Rd..You should check it out-it's a great shoot.There's 3 real nice courses,vendors,camping,food,etc.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:42 AM
bigcountry

Yep, I am planning on going that Saturday. You going to go? I went to macrotech, a bow shop in south Baltimore the othe day and he had like 20 large field targets, and I asked him if he got a deal or somthing and he said it was for that shoot.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmm... Whether to continue struggling along with one release method, desperately trying to improve and meeting with limited success, or touse another method which works well for you right now. I'd have to ponder that for a half-second or so before saying something equivalent to.... DUH! [8D]

I started using 3-under many years ago, shooting barebow with my compounds. It makes for a very smooth release. I also began using it for my traditional bows when arthritis started getting into my fingers. It does spread the load more evenly across all three fingers, makingshooting a lot more comfortable for someone dealing with old-timers disease.

The only reason not to go 3-under is for tournament shooting. There are still somearchery clubs who continue to insist that split finger is the only legal release method for their tournaments (Texas State Longbow Assn, for one), but the number of them is dwindling fast. Most places don't care how you release, just as long as one finger is always in contact with the nock - that's toeliminate string walking.

But that's just tournament rules. Tournament rules don't apply to hunting or just having a good time shooting a bow. Do what works and feels right andmakes shooting more enjoyable for you.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Ive never tried three under. Ive taught kids to use it, but have yet to really try it myself. Im going to give it a try. Ive noticed my release has gotten a little worse this year. I cut the tip of of my middle and ring finger off last summer and have had issues with my release. They put my finger tips back on, but I have very little feeling in them. Three under might be what im looking for.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:04 AM

I tried every variation of hook on and anchor known to man I ended up with 3 under and anchoring my thumb knuckle under and behind my ear lobe and having the cock feather touch my nose..... This anchor feels natural to me.... It's neither high nor low.... It's what I would call a medium anchor.... With low being the index finger in the mouth and high being the index finger on the eye socket..... I get an excellent field of vision and I can get into my back easier.....
Old 05-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Yep, I am planning on going that Saturday. You going to go? I went to macrotech, a bow shop in south Baltimore the othe day and he had like 20 large field targets, and I asked him if he got a deal or somthing and he said it was for that shoot.

I'll be there Friday and camping til Saturday nite.We'll have to hook up and shoot a course or two.I usually shoot with 4-5 other guys-you're more than welcome to shoot with us.This is me so if you see me-introduce yourself,or run the other way ;~).

Old 05-01-2006, 09:10 AM
bigcountry

Thanks guys, well that settles it for me.

I just don't see any of the guys in the books I am reading suggest it. Brian Sorrell, Bryan Fergason, or Asbell.

But my arrow flight is great now. I got this long head, (not abe lincoln like), and I think that affects things along with left eye dominance.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:55 AM

Baltimore Bowmen club May 19-21
About an Hr or so for me ,but can anyone attend ? Been looking for someone else thats shooting Trad. Still trying to get some friends to take their Training Wheels off
Old 05-02-2006, 12:42 PM
bigcountry

http://www.baltimorebowmen.com/trad.htm

I think its like 15 dollars. Its all traditional shooters. Hundreds of them. Come on over and hook up with me. I don't know anybody either. But its a pretty huge gathering.

Quick Reply: Three finger under

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.