Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

cedar Arrows

Old 04-10-2006, 09:18 PM
bigcountry

Default cedar Arrows

Well, today is my B-Day, don't all yell happy b-day at once. So the little lady had her ear to the ground and heard I wanted a set of cedar arrows. So she got a set from cabelas which are 3 rivers arrows.

Some are not straight visibly. Should I just manually by hand bend into shape? And keep at it until they are straight?

Old 04-10-2006, 10:19 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: cedar Arrows

Happy Birthday!

Yep, you can straighten all but the worst arrows by hand--just take it slow and easy. It takes a little practice, but isn't that hard to do.

Chad
Old 04-11-2006, 05:44 AM

Like Chad said, patience is the key........ I try to spread my straightening over several sessions....... I'll get them out and work them all one time...... Then put them up...... Then I'll get them out again the next day or two and work them again........ The I'll do it again the next or two....... The last batch I made I think I went through 4-5 straightening sessions...... That approach helps me from getting frustrated and trying too hard...... I am not a perfectionist, so I don't get too anal about it..... Once I can get them to roll fairly straight on a table, I fletch them up and shoot them......
Old 04-11-2006, 09:48 AM

Happy Birthday !

Yep you can heat them upa little bit with a hair dryer , don't get too close or your melt the paint or varnish
and then play with it.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:30 PM
bigcountry

Dad gone guys, I think I am going to make every mistake in the book. I was on 3rivers page, and noticed a chart. My bow is about 53lbs at my draw. So I figure buy 50-55lb arrows. Wrong. Glad I didn't start putting ends on them yet.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:36 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Maybe not BC--what type bow are you shooting, how is the shelf cut, what is your draw length, what length are the arrows, what weight point, and what type string? Lots of variables to consider.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:23 PM

I pull 26 inches....... Just a normal cut riser, I don't know what it is...... I spine my arrows at 26, but I cut them 28.... My arrows are dead on when they are 5-10lbs heavier than my draw..... That's using Ramin and 100 grain tips....

Old 04-11-2006, 06:16 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: LBR

Maybe not BC--what type bow are you shooting, how is the shelf cut, what is your draw length, what length are the arrows, what weight point, and what type string? Lots of variables to consider.
Its a Martin Savannah 50# at 28" longbow.I draw 29" and measured53# at that draw, not sure what the shelf cut is like. My arrows are 32" now uncut to tune, it has a flemish twist dacron(elk run I think) about 15 strands two bundle (I think). I plan on putting 125gr points on.

What do ya think?

Old 04-11-2006, 09:49 PM

If you cut them to 30 inches, you will need between 60-65 in spine at that weight and that draw......... Assuming 3 rivers spines their arrows at 28 inches, you will need 5lbsheavierfor eachinch that your arrows are over 28..... That's just ball park......
Old 04-11-2006, 10:54 PM
bigcountry

Maybe I should buy thier kit with 2 arrows of different spines? Or I could leave em long and get 60-65 and cut as needed.

Quick Reply: cedar Arrows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.