Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Jerry Pierce bow up for auction

Old 02-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Default Jerry Pierce bow up for auction

The United Bowhunters of Illinois will be doing a live auction of this bow at their annual banquet on March 4th, 2006 in Springfield Illinois.

"First off, thanks goes out to UBI member Dave Emken for donating a bow that Jerry made for him. He likely could have sold this bow for a couple thousand dollars maybe. That's a very generous donation and one that was made for all the right reasons.

The bow is 58 inches long, right handed, 61 pounds at 28 inches. It is clear glass over probably bubinga limbs and bubinga/cocobolo/maple accent strips handle. The woods are "probably" at this time as Dave painted the bow and we are guessing right now. Jim Ellis currently has the bow and is going to try to remove the paint - although he said yesterday that "...he thinks his grinder will get it all off!" That man scares me......

This handle was one of the first (maybe the first, we're checking into that) that was joined with the points that later became referred to as Pierce Points. FYI - Jerry initially began joining handles this way not for beauty or whatever, but to make the most out of the woods he had. It was a way to utilize scrap pieces that would otherwise have been wasted. After doing it initially, then cutting the bow out, he noticed the unintended beauty of the process and liked what he saw - as did many others.

That's what I have so far. I do know that Dave killed at least one moose with this bow in 1994, and knowing Dave, he likely killed many other animals with it too."

http://www.illinoistrad.org/smf/index.php?topic=132.0

If you'd like more information about this bow, the banquet or becoming a member of the UBI, feel free to contact me at [email protected]
UBI website http://www.unitedbowhuntersofillinois.com/index.html

(as a note, the UBI is not a 'Trad-only' organization, close... but not quite.. )
Old 02-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Jerry Pierce bow up for auction

Other than being about 4" too short and 20 pounds too heavy,that bow isjust what I need. I'll forward the info to the guys in our club.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:27 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Dang.........I'd love to have that one just to put back. I never got to meet Mr. Jerry, but I know one of his sons (Lenny) pretty well. That is a piece of archery history, and should bring in a big price.

Chris, just in case you have a couple thousand bucks just sitting around, I know of a VERY deserving mod who would LOVE to have that bow--and his birthday is tomorrow!

Chad
Old 02-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

I wish I could afford the bow myself Chad.

But happy Birthday (early) and Happy Valentine's day too!
Old 02-14-2006, 05:39 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It was worth a try.....[&o]

Thanks though, and Happy Valentine's Day to you!

Hmmm.....reckon we could con Justin or Bob into buying it?

Chad
Old 02-17-2006, 09:40 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Christine,

Thanks for posting this here. See you in two weeks!