Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Last Day Of Deer Season.......

Old 02-01-2006, 11:37 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Last Day Of Deer Season.......

.......was yesterday, and it went out with a sigh. Went to a familiar spot, ground covered with fresh tracks. I've hunted in this spot several times this season, and therewas only one time when I didn't at least see a deer from my stand. Got in my tree a little later than I had intended, but it felt good......REAL good. Warm during the day, but cooling off fast. Very little wind. Birds and squirrels going nuts--I thought "yep, this is it--today is THE day". Heard some scratching directly over my right shoulder, like a buck making a scrape, or maybe cleaning out an old one. Never did hear him pee in in, or lick a branch....that just COULDN'T have been a squirrel--too much noise! I sat dead still for what seemed like forever, and didn't hear anything else. Heart finally got back to a somewhat normal pace, and I finally stood up and looked--nothing--dang! A short time later, I heard that familiar sound of a deer walking through dry leaves--heart goes spastic again. He's close--REAL close--and coming in fast. I turned my head just in time to see a TINY squirrel busting through the scrub like his tail was on fire. DANG! Heart finally slows back down. Sun is going behind the trees, and directly in front of me, beyond thefood plot, I hear what I just knew was at least 3 or 4 deer coming through some really thick stuff. Heart nearly gave out on me. See one or two big grey squirrels busting through the leaves. Need I say more? Ok, dang-near had heart failure three times already, sun is getting low, something has got to happen soon. For the fourth time I hear the leaves crunching, and this time it's different. WHOO-HOO--HERE HE COMES!! I turn to my right and see something through the brush. Too small to be a deer, definately not a squirrel, not a coon......what in the world??????? Then this blasted 35 lb rabbit comes out. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration--he probably didn't weigh an ounce over 22 lbs--it was a big blasted rabbit anyway. I thought about it--rabbit season is open in MS, it's getting late...but I just knew that a deer would be coming out any time. The rabbit finally moved on and made my mind up for me. First time I'd seen a rabbit in this spot--with all this movement, I just knew I was going to have my choice of shots on a bunch of deerany second. I stood still............then it got dark, I climbed down, and left.

Another "dry" year with the longbow, but a very good one! I saw a lot of deer, had a few verly close calls--including one with a "monster"--and on the last day had 4 huge adrenaline rushes. Blasted squirrels get me every time! I know better, but I just can't seem to tell them from a deer in the leaves. One time several years agoI was in the woods, hunting from the ground, and the squirrels were driving me nuts. Nearly gave myself whiplash several times, thinking a deer had snuck up on me. Well, the last time I heard one and I wouldn't even look. It was behind me, and I was tired of messing with them. Then it got closer, and closer......I was sitting on my rear, flat on the ground, but managed to get turned around in time to see the biggest buck I've ever seen in the woods get away, from about 15 feet--ever since then, those blasted squirrels get me every time.

Anyhow, it was a great season! Still got plenty of meat in the freezer thanks to friends that rifle hunt, and had a blast in the woods. My first 3-D shoot is next Sat., then tenative plans for a hog hunt in GA in two weeks, then 3-D and bowfishingall summer. Life is good!

Chad
Old 02-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Last Day Of Deer Season.......

Just when you think you have the squirrels prance down and start ignoring them, a buck apprears! Murphy's Law in action.

Good story and post. Sounds like you will be busy until deer season rolls around next year.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:40 PM

I didn't get a deer this year either. Oh well. There's always next year. I do know what you're saying though about thinking that everything is a deer. It's not so much the noises with me but with things like grass and bushes and stuff that kind of look like a deer's head moving about but it's actually just a patch of grass swaying in the wind. That happens at least 5 times each time I go out hunting.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Well, as I sit here digesting a moose steak, I almost feel sorry for you... ... but sometimes it's the "almosts" that really define a season. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go get a mule deer roast out of the freezer for tomorrow.

RC
Old 02-01-2006, 09:45 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Rich, you really know how to hurt a guy![:@] Now I'm going to have to console myself with some whitetail backstrap steaks.........(I got good friends--I'm not about to go without venison!)

Chad
Old 02-01-2006, 10:06 PM

Tell next year.

Backstraps, WERE WERE, I can smell um WERE are they. I havent had straps in like 2 weeks, I think there is still 1 pack in the deep freezzzzzzz, sounds like dinner.