Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Shot inconsistency

Old 10-15-2002, 11:18 PM

Default Shot inconsistency

I’ve been shooting a recurve for almost 3 months now and I have to admit that lately I’ve been frustrated by my lack of shot consistency. I know that I have the capacity to hit what I am looking at out to 30 yards because I do it as often as not. But it’s so frustrating to put an arrow perfectly in the mark and then shank the next two and not know what you did differently. I’d like to take my bow out and finally try to hunt, but I have the same problem even at close range and I’m afraid that I would wound an animal.

Today I was out shooting during my lunch hour and having the usual success - some of my shots were right on the money and others would be well off. Finally I had enough and pulled 4 arrows from the target and said to myself that these would be it for the day and that I would accept the shots however they turned out (I normally try to end the practice session on a good shot so I can feel good about my shooting for the rest of the day). I was tired and frustrated and my first shot was predictably sloppy. During the release the bowstring slapped my arm guard with a hard crack and I watched as the arrow wobbled toward the target. I had noticed for some time now that my bowstring would strike my arm during the release. I attributed this to the fact that I was locking my bow arm (I learned this from Fred Asbell’s book I believe) and the fact that I have a hyper-extended elbow. I decided to try a little experiment with my last 3 arrows. I would bend my bow arm slightly so that the string would not slap my arm and see what effect this would have on my shooting. My next 3 arrows sliced into the center ring each with a satisfying thud.

Now I know that 3 arrows does not prove anything and unfortunately I had to return to work so I couldn’t take anymore shots to confirm or disprove my theory. Is it possible that the string slapping my arm could be responsible for some of my shot inconsistency? And what is considered proper form for holding one’s bow arm?
Old 10-15-2002, 11:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shot inconsistency

No doubt to me that a fully extended arm is detrimental to productive shooting. If you're resisting something with a fully extended arm, your arm is less stable. You shouldn't need to fully extend the arm to be at full draw. You should be drawing it with your string hand, thus we call it drawing, and you should be holding the weight with your back muscles. If your arm is slightly bent, it'll be stronger and function as a unit. If you've ever tried to push a car that won't start, notice how you push. No doubt you push with your legs, but your arms are against the car in what manner? Most likely they'd be bent. Why? because they're stronger, more stable that way.

God bless,
Brandan

Old 10-16-2002, 05:01 AM
Typical Buck

Don't be in such an all fired hurry for accuracy. Consistent results can only be achieved through consistent practice. You should get close to the target butt and be working on consistent form, anchor and release instead of accuracy right now. The accuracy will naturally occur if everything else is being done right.

Hang in there and have fun, because without the fun it's just another job.

Old 10-16-2002, 01:41 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Work on consistency, like Wahya said. Get just far enough away from the target that your arrows will clear the riser safely (a bag target is good for this). Concentrate on your anchor, release, bow cant, etc.

As for the locked elbow, I don't do that either. Go with what works best for you, regardless of what the "experts" say. There are some basics that apply pretty much to everyone (pick a spot, consistent form, etc.) but there is no one shooting style that is perfect for everyone. Be patient and it will come to you.

Chad

Long Bows Rule!

Edited by - LBR on 10/17/2002 16:06:32
Old 10-17-2002, 02:22 PM

Today I practiced utilizing a different form for my bow arm. I rotated my elbow out and bent my arm slightly. I also reverted to a lower weight bow to help prevent injury in the event that this particular form did not agree with my body (I have some tendonitis in my left elbow). I’m pleased to report that the combination of form change and lighter bow made a HUGE difference – no more string slap and my arrows are flying true.

Thank you all for your sound advice and encouragement. I’m having fun again.

Muddler
Old 10-25-2002, 03:01 PM

You should have a good shooter watch you shoot. I guarentee they would point out many things that you are doing wrong. You probably really need to work on your form. Proper footing, anchoring, breathing, drawing, etc. Even your arrows can make a big difference if they are not spined corectly or are the wrong size.

Nic
Old 10-31-2002, 07:57 PM

Muddler,
Thirty Yards! I'm still trying to group consistantly at 15yds after 11/2yrs. I'm envious.

Rem. 222