Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Yes...another feather question....

Old 12-05-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Yes...another feather question....

Sorry to infiltrate the traditional camp, but I am a refugee in search of some guidance. I build all of my own arrows. Since I switched from vanes to feathers I have had an incredible problem of keeping the feathers glued to my shaft.....(wow....just realized how flighty that sounds....)

So, on Arthur P's advice, I ordered some fletching tape. For you guys that have used it......Any tips or pointers, and how effective is it?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Yes...another feather question....

You are useing carbon arrows arn't you?? If so Dip the end of the arrow in enamel and glue to that.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:43 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I've only used it on wood and aluminum, but it's worked great. On the aluminum, I clean the shaft with acetone before fletching, whether I use tape or glue.

Chad
Old 12-06-2005, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mobow, I've used tape on all arrow materials with excellent results. For carbon arrows, I'd wipe the shafts down with denatured alcohol and let them dry overnight before fletching.

My fletching routine:

Place feather in the clamp. Run a strip of tape onto the base of the feather. Clip the tape, leaving about 1/16" of a tag end, past the feather's base. The extra length makes it easier to grab and strip off the plastic covering.

Put the clamp in the jig and press down firmly against the arrow. Thenrun your thumbnail firmly along the length of thequill to make sure the base is in full contact withthe shaft. (If you keep your nails short, a small screwdriver or nail file worksfine.)

Remove the clamp and run a finger firmly the length of the feather, to make double sure it's contacting the shaft and is stuck down. Then index the jig to the next station and repeat.

When you pull the arrow out of the jig, put a dab of glue - I usually use Duco on carbon, and wood that has been sealed withpoly or gasket lacquer / fletchtite on aluminum, or woods that have been dipped in bohning lacquer- at each end of each feather. Done.

I do take one extra little step, but it's not really required... After the dabs of glue dry, Iput an extra dab on the front ends of the feathers. I let the glue set up a bit, then press it down into a little ramp. It makes a smooth transition from the shaft to the feather so I'm less likely to get feather cuts on my hand. Making the little ramps like that would make the feathers less likely to hang up in a rest like the whisker bisquit too. So, if you use a wb, I highly suggest taking the extra step.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:17 PM

A freind of mine uses EZ-Crests on his carbons and they work great. He also shoots feathers.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:49 PM

Arthur, thank you, Sir. That stuff is the bomb!!!