Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Horn Hunting

Old 10-10-2002, 07:59 PM

Default Horn Hunting

Well, I may not be a horn hunter but I am a horn shooter. I took a shot at a nice 8 point last week. I deflected on the only twig in the area of the shot and hit the deer in the antlers. He was upset! Oh well.... Maybe next time. Dick

Old 10-11-2002, 08:49 PM
Spike

Default RE: Horn Hunting

Dick,
Glad to hear that you are getting out, and at least you saw some deer! Also, better to hit an antler than wound him! You mind telling where you were hunting?
-Lars
Old 10-12-2002, 07:53 AM

Lars,
Glad to see you found this board. I'm hunting at JTA (Joliet Training Area) It's not always open but lots of deer. You have to qualify in the spring to hunt there. Dick
ps. Haven't seen you around the club for a long time.

Edited by - dick4bows on 10/12/2002 08:54:51
Old 10-13-2002, 09:12 AM
Spike

Dick,
It was a tough summer to get over to the club, but I've been over there a few times this fall. Planning to do some hunting in the UP and at Midewin. I forgot about JTA--again!
Good hunting,
Lars
Old 10-13-2002, 09:48 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Bummer Dick--but I have to agree with Viking on both counts--at least you saw a nice one, and you didn't wound him. You will get him next time!

BTW, welcome to the board Viking! Of course I have to ask, what are you shootin'?

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 10-21-2002, 07:38 PM
Spike

Chad, Dick,

I apologize for the delay, was out of town all last week.

I shoot a Sky Skyhawk T/D, LH, 62", 50# at 28", 29" draw. No sites, tab release with 3 under.

I currently shoot ~30" aluminum 2216s with Magnus 2 blade BHs which seem to fly pretty well for me. I will build some wooden arrows one of these days.

Have been thinking about getting another set of limbs at 55 or 60#, but heard that Sky is no longer making bows. So, now I'm starting to think about getting a longbow. Would like to have a 2nd bow as a backup.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:33 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Buck? What's a buck? Oh yeah, that dead, half-eaten thing we found at Newark. Don't see too many of those.

On the other hand, I found some fresh scrapes and a heck of a nice rub line on the property I hunt in WI last weekend. Never saw the buck though.

JRW
Old 10-22-2002, 09:34 PM

Jason,
Don't feel bad. I just spent 3 days in a tree and didn't see a deer. Any deer. I hate hunting public land! I'm still looking for some land to buy but so far no luck.
Dick
ps. If the offer for sighting in my rifle is still good, let me know.

Old 10-23-2002, 07:35 AM

You will get him next time. Now at least you have located a nice buck to hunt. I sure would like to see a nice buck like that. So far I have hunted two mornings and two evenings. The only deer I have even seen was a little tiny fawn. It was too far to shoot at even if it had been a legal deer. I've practiced and worked hard to get ready to hunt with my new recurve. This will be my first season to hunt with a stickbow. So far, things have just not came together.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:14 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Dick,

Shoot me an e-mail about the rifle. Your address isn't coming up.

JRW

Quick Reply: Horn Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.