Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

what poundage??

Old 08-28-2005, 07:01 PM

Default what poundage??

Right now im shooting a mathews lx compound with a 60lb draw weight. Im planning on getting a recurve and trying it but i need to know what draw weight should i get in it?
Old 08-28-2005, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what poundage??

Start out light 45 to 50lb. Hows Phil?
Old 08-28-2005, 09:10 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

How much let-off do you have on the Matthews, how comfortable are you with it, how often do you shoot.......lots of things to consider here.

Just going on what you gave, I'd say 30-35# max. If at all possible, pull some bows and see what you are comfortable with. Starting out you want a bow you are comfortable with. You want to work on form and consistency with a bow you can comfortably control, not one you are struggling with. You will be able to shoot longer and more often with the lighter weight, and will improve faster.

There's always exceptions--you might do fine with a heavier bow--but most folks will do better starting out light.

Chad
Old 08-28-2005, 09:23 PM

I know I can pull a 70# compound ALL DAY LONG with no problems... But a 55lb longbow will wear me out in about 10 shots!!!

Like LBR said, DO NOT OVERBOW YOURSELF.... I made that mistake, TWICE

While you will get stronger very quickly, I don't see how you could possibly develop good form while being severly over-bowed.....

Old 08-28-2005, 10:01 PM

yep, 45 pounder will be plenty enough to get you hooked and put meat in the freezer.

I used to shoot compounds 70 -80 lbs. Now shooting trad bows from 35-58 pounds. I get the best training from the 35 pounder. smooth draw, full anchor smooth release etc etc. Everyday bow is 51 pounds and is plenty fast. Twice around a 3D course and I'm toast.

Have fun !
Old 08-29-2005, 07:52 AM

well thanks punxsy phil is fine my let off is 80% and i shoot alot my form is also pretty good thanks for the info it was really helpful.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:53 PM

DO NOT OVERBOW YOURSELF.... I made that mistake, TWICE
You got that right brother...start light and work your way up!
Old 08-29-2005, 05:29 PM

I would say start with a bow around 140lbs at 28 and work your way up, if you are shooting anything less then 100 you may as well be throwing rocks. Just my 2cents, take it or leave it.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Guss

I would say start with a bow around 140lbs at 28 and work your way up, if you are shooting anything less then 100 you may as well be throwing rocks.
May i please ask what system of measuring weight or u using i dont think any one could even pullthat back
Old 09-01-2005, 08:06 PM

Just being alittle funny, every one else had the question pritty well taken care of. If remember right LBR can pull somthing like 100. The guy who made my bow can pull over 100 and still be acurate, or so I have heard.

Quick Reply: what poundage??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.