Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

what poundage??

Old 09-04-2005, 08:07 PM

Default RE: what poundage??

I have an 18 Lbs I'll sell you,LOL
Old 09-09-2005, 09:54 AM

I shoot #68 on my compound.I just started using a recurve that is #40 lbs @ 28". I thought the 40lbs was gonna be too easy to pull back. I was wrong , throw every comparison to a compound away in your mind. I found it to be a whole different animal. No pun intended.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

I've been a bowhunter since before compounds were around for hunting. I have to just about crap a marble to roll over a 70# compound yet shoot 3d tournaments with 80# longbows and recurves. The muscles you use are totally different than those used for the compound. All of your strength is used immediatley with the stick bows wherethe bulk of your strength is used at about 18" with the compounds. The point being, if you have worked your way up to 65 or 70# with the compound there's no reason with a little work you can't do the same with the stick bows. If your ever going to go down in bow weight for hunting go down with the wheels and "not" the sticks. Arrow for arrow the wheels are just more efficient so you need all you can get without them. The other thing to remember is that if your going to let go of the arrow on a compound your going to be a full draw since you draw until the wheels roll over. 90% of all stick bow people will short draw under the presssure of shooting at game. (Me included) It may only be an inch or two but your talking 4 to 8 pounds of weight when you do. Work hard and shoot as heavy a bow as you can hnadle accurately at the distances you plan to shoot.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:38 PM

I suggest drawing a few and make sure you can anchor an index finger in the corner of your mouth without leaning your head forward. Get the highest poundage possible where you can do it a few times and go with one near that draw weight. If you practice, the first few weeks will be rough but you'll build the right muscles quick. I have two sticks that I wish were more #'s now....can't crank em up once you've bought em.