Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

how often does this happen?

Old 09-27-2002, 12:07 PM

Default how often does this happen?

I was speaking with a co-worker yesterday about my new-found interest in the bow. In the course of the conversation he mentioned that he used to enjoy shooting a bow but that he would never do it again. When I inquired as to his reasons why, he proceeded to show me an old wound and then relate a story to me that would make any archer’s skin crawl. Apparently when he was a teenager, he had borrowed a friend’s hunting recurve for some target practice. When he drew the bow back, one of the limbs broke and drove a shard of fiberglass and wood deep into the palm of his hand. He said that incident has dulled any interest he had in archery.

That story got me to wonder how often this sort of thing happens and what can be done to prevent it. It’s also made me question how safe my 20+ year old Bear bow really is and the wisdom of keeping it strung up all the time. The idea of a total limb failure while at full draw has got to be every archer’s worst nightmare.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: how often does this happen?

No doubt it can happen, but I reckon it's rare. Check your equipment out. If it's starting to show age and wear then stop using it. If it's easy for you to string and unstring, unstring it before you put it up. 20 years isn't too bad, I use to shoot a recurve from '79. Just make sure it's in good shape everytime you shoot. I got more of a scare out of my compound when it started kicking around and making loud noises than I did out of my 22 year old glass recurve.

God bless,
Brandan

Old 09-28-2002, 03:46 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: how often does this happen?

Probably got a better chance of being struck by lightening. I have broken a few selfbows, and have a friend that has broken one or two laminated bows, and both of us walked away with nary a scratch. It would be a good idea to check out older bows, before and after shooting, especially it if has been stored for a while and/or you hear any suspicious noises. I have shot lots of old bows (and I have a long draw), and I have never broken one. The ones I mentioned above were fairly new, one of the bows my bud broke was brand new (he was in an archery shop where he knew the owner, and demonstrationg the bow for a customer--I believe it blew up when he first drew it). I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Chad

Long Bows Rule!