Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Flu Flu Arrows

Old 08-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flu Flu Arrows

Anyone know where I can buy flu flu arrows for bird hunting that already have inserts or tips on them? Also, what type of tips should i use?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Flu Flu Arrows

The points I've used for years for small birds like quail and dove is the Snaro.

Then Zwickey came out with a judo point on steriods the call the Kondor. I haven't used it yet, but it's available in both glue on and screw-in styles. It's been a long time since I've seen the Snaro in anything but screw-in, so the Kondor would be it for a cedar arrow.

For bigger birds - ducks, pheasant, goose, etc. - use broadheads.

You can get Kustom King to taper their cedar flu-flus for points for a couple dollars extra, then glue the points on yourself. No biggie.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:12 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

My favorite bird/small game head is the Ace Hex-Head Blunt. It became my favorite after seeing judo's, regular steel blunts, and hard rubber blunts fail miserably--the Ace blunt worked great on the same critters (Spruce grouse--the ones we shot were unbelieveably tough birds!).

Joe Stark at Lone Wolf Traditional Archery can help you out. The Ace comes in a glue-on or screw-in.

Chad
Old 08-13-2005, 12:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

We don't have grouse in Texas, so I didn't know about that. I've kinda had the itch to try those Ace heads though. Thanks for the report, Chad.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:53 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

No grouse in MS either! We tried them out on a trip to Canada a few years ago--some went for moose, a few others for bear. Well, the weather wasn't cooperating (turned off real hot--fresh sign every morning, but moose activity during the day was very low), so I took a day off to grouse hunt. My buddy Tom (bear hunter--they only went to the stands in the evenings, so he had all day to play) had killed one, and lost a few, with judos. My first shot was with a hard rubber blunt--not as hard as the plastic ones, but hard enough that I'd gotten full penetration on some pretty big rabbits with them. Anyway....

I was close to the bird when I shot it. I was aiming for the chest, but wound up tagging it right behind the ear hole. Thank goodness I didn't hit where I was looking! My first thought was I probably took it's head off--I was pulling 66#, shooting arrows that were well over 600 grains, and at close range. I bailed off into the woods for my prize, and wound up having to catch it and finish it off!

Later, my buddy Chris had a super close shot, and he was using one of my arrows (I was the only one that thought to bring flu-flu's). He was pulling 65#, and was probably within 10 feet of his bird. He nailed it dead-center in the chest, sitting up in a small tree. The bird fell a couple of feet, righted itself, and flew up in the top of a big tree! That arrow hit so solid that you could hear the "WHACK" and it actually bounced off the bird. It sat in the next tree long enough for us to stalk it a bit, and for Tom to send another of my arrows to narrowly miss (lost my arrow too) and it flew off. I forget when it was, but I think Chris lost a bird or two with regular steel blunts also.

I decided this was just not going to work. I'd brought the Ace heads with me--don't even remember why I bought them in the first place--but figured we couldn't do any worse. Chris hadn't brought any flu-flu's, but he did bring hot-melt and a lighter, so I swapped out the points. We did not loose a single bird that was hit with the Ace heads. Chris wound up with three, I got one more, and poor 'ol Tom who had shot at umpteem of them never connected again--I don't think he even got another decent shot.

Anyhow, that convinced me. The heads made large wounds (the taxidermist fussed a lot about that, but he got the birds looking pretty good), and the birds dropped when they were hit.

I haven't had a chance to try them out on anything else yet, but I do plan to use them on rabbits when I get a chance (I used to rabbit hunt a lot with my bow, but haven't in a few years now). I'd given up on anything but broadheads for rabbits, after loosing too many with "small game" heads--blunts, homemade blunts, judos, etc. I think these will do the trick on rabbits, coons, possums, armidillos, maybe even coyotes (like I'll ever get a shot at a 'yote). Curious to know if they would be a good head for turkeys--I think they would, with a heavier poundage bow. They don't just shock, they cut also, and leave a big nasty wound and (I am positive) dead critters when they connect.

My experience with them is limited, but it was compared with several other heads, and the results were unanimous. I like 'em!

Besides that, they are almost as "unlooseable" as judos--they don't snake up under the grass.

Chad
Old 08-14-2005, 02:46 PM

I havent been at this that long but hear is my 2 cents. I have a Flu Flu that I made out of one of my 2216s, it is tiped with a 180gr Judo point. I also have a normal arrow with the same Judo on it. I have someone kicka basketball and I shoot it on the move, at about 18 yards both arrows will shoot right threw the ball, almost to the feathers, after 18 yards the flu flu bounces right off. The regular arrow will sink in the ball out to 25 yards (if I can hit it).

I would not sugest using judos, way to much money. Sounds like LBR has a good idea on the best head.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:50 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Another benefit to the Ace blunts is you can get them in "normal" weights. I know they have them in 125 grain, and I think in others.

Chad