Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Great resource

Old 08-11-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Great resource

I just found this site and am excited to have experienced archers to ask stuff. I laid down my bow about 10 yrs ago due to a hectic life and demanding job and now that the kids are grown I am bitten by the bow bug again. I have forgotten almost everything about archery I used to know and am starting fresh except I am using the same 60# Damon Howatt Hunter. My arrows and tackle box were stolen 2yrs ago and I am starting over. I am interested in a longbow and saw Dan Quillian's bows on ebay. Does anyone know if they are suitable for someone learning to shoot a longbow. I am talking about his $275 finished one. Thanks, Randy
Old 08-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Great resource

Hi Randyhi, welcome.

I don't know much about the bow that you mentioned, but I do know that you could get a brand new custom check-mate for about the same price. That is what I would suggest anyway.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had one of Quillian's Bamboo Longhunter longbows nearly 20 years ago. Kinda wish I still had it. It was a very good bow and I won quite a few tournaments with it. If his current workmanship is as good as it was then, it'd be more than suitable.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:28 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

First, welcome to the board, and welcome back to archery! 60# is quite a bit to get back into it with--but I guess you already figured that part out--lol.

Dan doesn't actually build those bows--I'm not sure he ever built them--I thinkhe just had a hand in the design. Regardless, he's a super interesting fellow to talk to--a walking archery encyclopedia. Won't do you any good to argue with him (he's a bit opinionated), but there's not much you could argue with him about. He hasn't been in very good health for a while, and he's getting on up in years.

If this one is the all wood bow, it's a decent shooter but in my experience not real durable.

Chad
Old 08-11-2005, 06:23 PM

I just got home from work so I guess life is still a little hectic! Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Where would I find a custom checkmate? Do they have website where I can see their bows? Thanks again for the warm welcome. I'll probably be up all night reading the posts here.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:31 PM

I just found the Recurves.com website. Are you the LBR from there? I ordered a flemish twist string yesterday for the first time from an ebay stringmaker in Kansas to see if I like them. What are the pros and cons of a flemish string? I read that you can't twist them much to adjust your brace height because it weakens the string. Is this true? If so how do you shorten the string to adjust the brace height? Sorry for all the questions but I can't find the answers in the books that I have.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

The twist is what holds a flemish string's loops together. It only weakens the string if you need to make it longer to lower your brace height and have to UNtwist the string so much that there isn't enough twist left in the string to keep the loops from coming unwound. Twisting it up to shorten the string only makes the loop braids tighter and stronger.

The pros of a flemish string are: 1) You have the total number of strands in the string running through the loops. With an endless loop string, you only have half the number of strands forming the loop. So, flemish strings are stronger through the loops. 2) You don't have serving covering the loops on a flemish string, so you can easily see any fraying or weak spots in the loops and change the string before it breaks. I've had way too many endless loop strings unexpectedly break in the loops. 2) The braided loop section of the flemish string is softer than the served section for the loops on an endless string so, for recurve bows, the flemish string is quieter. The braid doesn't slap the recurves like a hard serving does. 3) Flemish strings simply look better. Hey! Aesthetics gotta count for something.

There are no cons for flemish strings, as far as I'm concerned.

The pros for endless strings are: 1) They generally account for slightly better arrow speed than you'd get with a flemish string of the same material. 2) They hold their length slightly better than flemish strings.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the explanation of the flemish string. I'm glad you guys take the time to help a new guy out.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:57 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Dunno if I should admit this or not, but I am the same LBR--I use that nick for everything on the computer (well, except e-bay--it was taken, even way back when I registered there).

Arthur covered the string differences very well. Only one thing I can think to add--all strings are not created equal. I have no idea who you got yours from, and hopefully it will be a good one, but I've seen folks selling some not-so-good ones. A poorly made string won't hold up as well, won't be as quiet, and will cost you some speed--I figure that goes for endless strings, but I know it applies to flemish.

Art also made a great point about the loops--I've never shot endless strings for any amount of time, and have made a total of one in my life, so I don't know a lot about them. Most folks will say that the loops are just as strong, and can make a decent argument for why they say that. I couldn't prove it one way or the other, but I do like flemish strings better. Art's word is good enough for me on the breakage.

Oh yeah--one more thing. Flemish strings (properly made) are very adjustable. I don't like to twist one to the point it bunches up when you unstring the bow, and you don't need to untwist it too much else the loops will slip, but it's not hard to see when you are going too far. If it's made right, you shouldn't have any worries at all.

Chad
Old 08-12-2005, 04:30 PM

You probably don't want to talk business here but, I emailed you this morning about your inventory and wait time on a chek-mate bow. If you find my email disregard the flemish string question. I just received the string today that I ordered form the guy in Kansas. I am ordering a couple from recurve.com to compare. I am grateful to you guys for sharing your knowledge and look forward to reading more. Thanks

Quick Reply: Great resource

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.