Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

What are your thoughts on this.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:09 PM

Default What are your thoughts on this.

My girlfrind and I have been talking about moving to Alaska next year, after she Graduates with a Degree in Nursing. She is all for it, I on the other hand I am reluctint to move away from family. I would be great to have all that land at my fingure tips, and be able to hunt and fish in one of the greatest places on earth. The biggest draw back is that I love to hunt and fish with my Dad, and I love to eat fish that my mom cooks . I would be leaving behind 3 of my best freinds, the white tail deer, the brook trout, and the Rufed Grouse.

I just dont know wat to do because if I say that I want to go my girlfreind will start packing, not at all kidding. What do you guys think, is it better to have good fishing and hunting and have famly to share it with or great hunting and fishing and no one to share it with?
Old 08-05-2005, 05:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What are your thoughts on this.

OUCH! That's a tough call. I'd darn sure be tempted to try it for a year and see how it goes.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

OUCH! That's a tough call. I'd darn sure be tempted to try it for a year and see how it goes.
I believe you might have to make that two. I believe you have tobe a resident for a full year before getting a liscence (but don't quote me).

Some people prefer to get as far away from family as possible, and it works for them. - I sure wouldn't mind it![8D]
Old 08-05-2005, 07:57 AM

Well you have trout and grouse in AK and allot more big game, that is one of my places I want to retire to.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:08 AM

You have to live there for 2 full years to be a resident, jan 06 - jan 08. I forgot to mention I have a good freind up there, he moved from here in the spring and he is loving it, his wife on the other hand seems to miss home.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:16 AM
COB

Guss I think you should pack up and GO! Once you have set up house keeping you would have plenty of family ties. Like me, your brother, who would like to hunt in Alaska.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:28 AM

While that has always been my dream, I don't think I could pass up the time hunting with family. My Dad only has so many more campfires and I don't want myself or my sons to miss out on them.....

The experience of the hunt is what makes it special for me.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:21 PM

Guss,

Some things to keep in mind...While not a resident you can hunt with nonresident tags. While a nonresident you will need a licensed guide to huntgoats, sheep, grizzly/brown bears. That being said, consider that the best hunting in Alaska in NOT on the road system. You need to fly or boat to the best places. Flying is the best way to gain access good areas, but it is also EXPENSIVE to hunt that way. It iseasyto drop $1500-$2000 for the necessary flyingon a caribouor moose hunt by the timeallof the meat is flown out. The more remote the area, the higher the costs. I know several who have moved to Alaska for the hunting and fishing. Most fishing is readily accessable. Some will hunt the walk-in areas where no motorized traffic is allowed. Even then, with 20-30 mile one-way hikes, they often have other hunters close by. Alaska is a huge state and many of the vast areas do not have huntable populations of game. Still Alaska is IMO the best place to hunt if you enjoy a true wilderness experience.

Also, good jobs are hard to find. I'd suggest having something lined up for both of you before moving. Your girl friend should be able to find a job with a nursing degree. Have either of you visited Alaska? If not, I strongly recommend a trip to see what it is actually like. You can listen to others, but you need to be there yourself to see if it may work for you. Go in the winter and spend a week or two, if you can handle that, the rest of the year will easy. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:54 PM

Thanks Chipmoose, sounds like you live there. I have been there and I loved it. I spent a few days fishing and did great, all on my own. I saw one griz while fishing, what a thrill. The main big Game animal I would like to hunt would be the moose, when we were there we saw alot of them, right by town. I figured they were all over and there was plenty of land to hunt them on, is there. I have an uncle that lives inJuno (sorry if I spelled it wrong) and he dose all kinds of hunting and fishing.

I dont know what I will do up there but my girl has already talked to the Hospital and she could get a job. I mayfinish school up there, if not I would get labor job.

As for the winter I am from The UP of MI, we get one hell of a winter. I love the snow and cold and have never had a hard time here so I think I couldmake it there. On the shortest days weget about 8 hours of light, if it isent snowing .

Thanks agin to every one.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Couldn't Alaska be something that you both just save up to visit ?
I've been off their coast in Nov-Dec , and it most decidedly wasn't fun . There's also their unusual lighting at various times of year , it can be a difficult adjustment for some from what I've gleaned from residents. Most things are rather expensive there too since they have to have most things trucked or barged in , a gallon of milk is somewhere around $5 there because of this . I work in shipping , and it took $11,000 to send a truckload of our product to a mine between Anchorage and Fairbanks from Louisville , Ky., imagine the trickle down from that . Wipe the stars from your eyes and look at Alaska again .

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.