Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Bear long bows.

Old 07-31-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Bear long bows.

I just got back in town from a horible adventure below the bridge that divides Gods country from the rest of the State. I managed to stay sain by stoping at Jays sporting goods and picking up some stuf; a small peice of leather, a new Traditional Bowhunter magazine (great this month), and a new hat. I looked at their bow selection and pulled a Bear long bow a few times. I was suprise at the boxie grip, the bow didnt inpress me at all. I was thinking of getting one of these bow (some day), in a 45 lb pull to get my arm back in shape after the long winters up here, but now I dont know if I will. Looked vary cheep.

Has anyone ever used one of them, are they not as bad as the look. I never here anyone talking about them. I love my Bear recurve.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:03 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bear long bows.

I haven't picked up a new one, but I hated the grip on the old Montanna. It was so uncomfortable I didn't even bother shooting it. The newer ones are supposed to be better.

Chad
Old 08-01-2005, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Has anyone ever used one of them, are they not as bad as the look. I never here anyone talking about them.
I agree that they are not for everyone. But then again, Byron Ferguson uses one, and he is the most accurate shot that I have ever seen..
Old 08-01-2005, 07:51 PM

I dont think the one I check out was the same as the one Biron uses, it was a Montanna. I think he uses the Patriot long bow, but not sure.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:28 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Actually Byron has an agreement with Bear to reproduce hisdesigns. Pretty sure Byron is still shooting the bow he made himself.

Chad
Old 08-02-2005, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I saw him in March, I believe he was shooting a Royal Safari (read link below). He also did use another bow for some of his shots. Zak (Byron's Son) is now making his own line of Custom Bows.

http://www.beararch.com/products/detail.tpl?Id=27
Old 08-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Royal Safari is one of Ferguson's bows that Bear is producing under their agreement. Another is the Patriot. I got to handle a Patriot at Cabelas last week and really liked the feel of that grip.

But when I read the words 'Bear longbow' and 'boxie' in the same sentence, I'm with Chad. That screams "MONTANA". It's like gripping a bow made from a 2X4. After shooting it awhile, I did find that putting the edge of that box into the crease of your hand helped produce a very repeatable grip. That grip is not something I could come to actually like, but I was able to find a benefit to it. I could live with it, if I had to.

But you know, if all else fails, that's what they make wood rasps and sandpaper for.